We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Franz Josef to Manapouri

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling Franz Josef to Manapouri

Is this too ambitious to do in one day if driving at the beginning of July? We have a 4WD with chains.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Franz Josef to Manapouri

Hello Debbie, I suspect you already know the answer to this :)

In ideal conditions the drive would take about 8 hours if you don't stop to eat, rest or sightsee. In July with the roads possibly snowy, it could take twice as long.

Best to drive Franz to Wanaka and then continue on to Manapouri the next day.

Take care on the drive to Wanaka. The Haast Pass has 11 one lane bridges which require care, especially now when they could be icy, even if the road isn't.

You can check road conditions here …govt.nz/traffic/…south-island.html

currently the Crown Range (between Wanaka and Q'town) requires chains, you are probably best to drive via Cromwell. The road from Q'town to Te Anau also had snow overnight. We did here in Wanaka too but sadly it was all melted by 11am.

Safe travels :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Franz Josef to Manapouri

It's definitely do-able Debbie, I've done it myself on a number of occasions. It is, however, a serious drive, and you have to factor in winter driving conditions. There are no high passes or mountain sections (unless you take the Crown Range route), and you have the option of stopping off in either Wanaka or Queenstown if you find the going too tough.

Snow is always a possibility in July, and as WL says, there is snow in some parts at the moment, but usually it's not a common occurance. I am actually on the Gold Coast at the moment, so I'm avoiding all the bad weather. Eat your heart out WL :-)

I would be inclined to break the journey in either Wanaka or Queenstown, but if you are pressed for time then get an early start, and drive carefully. Ice is not likely to be a problem after 12pm.

The benefits of 4WD on ice are somewhat over-rated, so don't put too much faith in that.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Franz Josef to Manapouri

cheers VBC :)

the weather isn't bad, it's just typical winter weather with snow and glorious sunshine (which sadly is why the snow melted around the house), but the mountains are spectacular. We have been having some -2C frosts, with one -6C frost and cars have been sliding off the road.

Enjoy Oz :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Franz Josef to Manapouri

Just doing my bit to keep the Ozzy economy afloat :-)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Franz Josef to Manapouri

The days are a lot shorter in July than they are in summer. The roads can be adversly affected by ice till at least 10am and later in shaded areas so one must be alert. 4X4 vehicles are notorious form wanting to go 'off road' when the the driver actualy wants to stay on the road., in other words, the are the worst choice of vehicle for highway driving then to hit a loose or slippery surface.

when the going gets tough and chains are fitted, there is no stopping them and ideal for getting through. just be so careful.

as other suggested, break the trip into to days, it is a very enjoyable drive, so savour the moment

6. Re: Travelling Franz Josef to Manapouri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 07:16