We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp site in or round te anu

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Camp site in or round te anu

finally have my trip planned here it is what do you think

1 christchurch

2 hanmer springs

3 blenheim

4 golden bay

5 fox

6 wanaka

7 queenstown

8 queenstown

9 mossburn

10te anu

11te anu

12 mossburn

13 mt cook

14 canterbury plains

15 christchurch

but back to the point after having looked into the possability of christmas in the golden bay area ad mt cook we ve decided that te anu fits our scheduele best and now were lookin ideas of where to stay

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

You may want to rethink your itinerary. It would take over 8 hours of non-stop driving by car to get from Golden Bay to Fox. And about 6 hours to get from Mossburn to Aoraki/Mt Cook. These drives will take considerably longer in a campervan.

With 15 days, a few of which you hope to stay put over Christmas, you are best to either explore the northern tip of the South Island, or head south from Chch. Sadly, you don't have time for both.

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

you could be right, tell me is hanmer springs worth a look see? for we could go from ther eto westport and on to fox saving a few days and a right bit of driving, would love to see blemhiem and up the top but dont ant to spend the whole time stuck behind the wheel either

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

If you enjoy hot pools then Hanmer Springs is worth a stop.

You could go;

Chch

Hanmer

Punakaiki

Fox

Wanaka

Te Anau

Queenstown

Aoraki/Mt Cook

Chch

It is just a matter of working out how long to stay in each location. For Christmas are you looking to spend time with others, or in a private location? Will your camper have toilet/shower/kitchen so you can stay in DOC camps, or will you be looking for full service campsites?

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

Camper will have full facilities yes, and were looking to spend christmas alone and preferably not parked up tight next to another camper van, we want a nice secluded spot by a lake where we can explore without meeting fllets of other tourists , i realise at peak season this may not be possible but as close to it as we can get,i dont mind a few long drives to cover ground but dont want it to be like that every day

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

At Christmas time prime camping spots beside lakes & rivers are likely to be hard to find, and if you can find them, then it is likely that dozens of other freedom campers will have found them also.

There are quite a few DOC campsites in the Eglinton Valley, but you are going to have to share them with lots of other visitors, and gazillions of sandflies.

This is privileged information, and not usually divulged to outsiders, so I'll keep it brief, and cryptic. Around Te Anau, Tui Bay (by the Golf Course), and Horseshoe Bend (on the Waiau River).

Sorry, I've got to go, ( I've already said too much.)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

I have camped here summer and winter and never met another soul (though wasn't there at Christmas) …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Some nice walking tracks and lots of solitude. My dog loves it :)

Edited: 13 July 2010, 10:50
co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

cheers believe it or not i was actually lookin at that one, but tell me are sand flies a problem for i remember spending a very irritating night getting eaten by sand flies around that part of the world ,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

Nope, I haven't been bothered by sandflies there. And my dog is often plagued by sandflies more than me, they go for his tender spots, but he hasn't encountered sandflies there either.

9. Re: Camp site in or round te anu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 07:16