We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September to November Trip

charlotte, NC
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
September to November Trip

Hey, im planning on living around the south island from early september this year to mid-november. I want to do a lot of the popular tracks, see fox glacier, go on lots of road trips around these national parks, etc. My question is about the weather. Can i still enjoy milford track and routeburn in November or is it similar to walking through a blizzard? Can i traverse by car in september and october or is it really icy and blizzard like conditions? everywhere i read mentions chained wheels, avalanches, etc.

I am a photographer so snow capped mountains are what im looking for, but not straight up blizzard conditions.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: September to November Trip

It is possible to get snow or blizzard conditions on the roads at that time of the year especially on the high mountain passes. However it is more likely that the weather will be more settled at that time of the year.

The weather forecasts will give you an idea of what to expect two or three days out. I am sure there will still be many snow capped mountains to view.

Weather conditions can close the Milford and Routeburn tracks at anytime of the year but don't that deter you from visiting these areas.

2. Re: September to November Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Te Anau
Recent Conversations
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question