We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te Anau Accommodations

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Te Anau Accommodations

In a Dec. 2004 posting their was a mention of the Tapua Farmstay run by the Comb family. The hyper link given no longer connects. Also I cannot find a web site for the Red Tussocks Motel. Could someone (aka Barry or Nettie) please supply the misssing details. Thanks.

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Te Anau Accommodations

Red Tussock Motels http://www.redtussockmotels.co.nz/

Another option you could look at is Te Anau Hotel & Villas. Probably the most upmarket place in Te Anau but can get good rates there. http://www.teanauhotel.co.nz/

Any thought I'd give you some recommendations for restaurants

La Toscana - an Italian Pizza place. The pizza is great, but if they are busy (quite often in summer) sometimes their service lets them down - still great pizza though.

Red Cliffs Cafe - I understand this was a favourite of the LOR movie people when they were filming around Te Anau - I can certainly understand why!

Barry might have some other recommendations as well.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Te Anau Accommodations

Hi Xlimey, Sorry for the delay replying, I've been busy looking after all our visitors.

I think the Crombs no longer do Farm Stays. Don has been extremly sick this last year, and it got to be too much for them. Pity, they are a lovely couple.

Red Tussock motel is a good choice, Brony would look after you very well. www.redtussockmotels.co.nz. email redtussock@xtra.co.nz.

A good source for accommodation in NZ is Jasons www.jasons.co.nz, or AA Guides www.aaguides.co.nz.

Agree with Nettie about Redcliffs Cafe.. Great food and great atmosphere. Not sure how long it will continue to be great. Megan, the owner and chef, is expecting her first babies (ie twins) very soon, and I suspect she may be rather busy. Hopefull they can find someone equally tallented to take over.

There are lots of good eateries in Te Anau, mostly clustered in our one main street. All display their menues outside, so you can just browse these and make your choice.

Jenny and I mostly go to The Ranch. Good food, fast service, good atmosphere, and reasonable prices.

If I had to rank them I guess it would be Keplers for food, Redcliffs for ambience, The Ranch for overall value. Others which get an honourable mention are Bailies (bistro), The Moose (bistro), Sandfly Cafe, La Dolce Vita. La Toscana (Pizza), Ming Garden (Chinese).

In the 'not recomended' is China City.

There are quite a few B&B's in Te Anau. If you are interested in these I can recomend a few.

Cheeers,

Barry

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
134 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Te Anau Accommodations

Don't stay at Luxmore! Old, and overpriced All places in town on the lake looked very nice. Kept up nicely.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Te Anau Accommodations

Xlimey

I have booked 2 nights at Tapua Farmstay for February. Their email address is

Tapua.Cromb@xtra.co.nz

Hope this helps

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Te Anau Accommodations

Slight correction to my previous post. Apparently Don and Dorothy are still operating Tapua Farm Stay, so all you folk who have been phoning to reconfirm your reservations can breath easy. I must have misinterpreted what I thought Don said. My humble apologies.

The communication difficulties are due to a fault with their mail server which is affecting a number of Te Anau businesses. Hopefully this will be rectified quickly.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Te Anau Accommodations

Hi vbc

I e-mailed Dorothy after reading your post and she has just replied to say that they are still doing farmstays.

I have told her that I was posting on this site to let everyone know they are still in business as it would be a pity if they lost bookings.

I'm so glad as this was one of the things that I am really looking forward to - they seem such lovely people!

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Te Anau Accommodations

Has anyone stayed at the Croft? They have 2 cottages on a farm. They sound really nice.