We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

Hi,

I'm in NZ for my honeymoon and currently typing this out of stunning Wanaka.. I'll be driving to Te Anau leaving Wanaka at 3 pm tom..

1. Can I make it in time for the glow worm tours at 7/8:15?

2. Are they worth the 70 nzd?

Thx.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

I'm also typing this out of stunning Wanaka :)

and isn't the weather just glorious!!

The drive to Te Anau takes me just under 3 hours if going via the Crown Range. It takes perhaps 20 - 30 minutes longer if going via Cromwell. So yes, you can make the 7pm cruise.

Yes, to me the trip is worth $70. And think the boat trip back across the lake in the gathering darkness an absolute highlight :)

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

Hi - very jealous of both yourself and Wanaka at the moment as we sit in flooding rain!

The Glow Worm tour is definitely worth it if you have never seen a glow worm before.....we loved the boat ride across the lake eventhough it started snowing on the mountains around us and was freezing! The tour was magical - we came out of the cave thinking what beautiful creatures glow worms are until we watched the video! - Shock, horror! They are gooey little parasites that eat each other! Glad we saw the magic first!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

Yep, the caves were particularly stunning recently with a bumper crop of baby glow worms making the entire cave system shimmer. However the abundance wouldn't last long as the larger ones had already begun eating most of the wee ones!

Hope your flood waters recede soon Jalaky :)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

Yes, worth it! I would suggest an evening trip as you will be going underground anyway. Boat trip up the lake is good, caves def worth it. Enjoy your trip.

Also if going to Milford leave early am from Te anau and drive directly to Milford- get on an earlier cruise - less crowded, then stop at all the things to see on the way back to Te anau.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

The destination experts and others appear to sing the praises of Te Anau glow worm caves but I disagree. Having visited many glow worm caves around New Zealand I would say the Te Anau ones are overrated.

Is it worth the $70 price tag? Difficult to answer. To me the luxury coach trip to Milford Sound including the cruise for under $120 from Te Anau is far better value.

If you do visit the glow worm caves in Te Anau please let us all know what you thought of them.

Edited: 11 January 2011, 10:01
Milton, New Zealand
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

I guess this is to late for your trip to Te Anau, but in the off chance that you are still travelling around NZ then heres my advise.

The caves in Te Anua are way over rated, the only reason they are that popular is that there arn't anyother easily get-at-able in that area.

The best glow worms that ive seen are in Waitomo in the North Island of NZ and because there is alot more competition up there the prices are much better.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

That's OK if you are in the North Island, but is it worth a trip all that way to see a better glow worm? In fact the best ones are the ones you see in the wild - along the sides of roads etc, but like everything else you have to know where to look. Often an organised toour - especially if you have limited time - is the best option.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

If you've never seen NZ Glowworms (a unique species) definitely the trip is worth it. The cruise out to the caves was a bonus as well for our party as we hit a lovely sunset, brilliant cloud formations and on the way back, a rising full moon as the sun set.

The caves were fantastic to me, but I am a nature buff. If you are easily bored, don't appreciate natural settings and can't come unglued from text messaging, the caves may not be for you. I have also done the Shotover Jet ride in Queenstown, which was more expensive, boring and quite disapointing compared to the glowworm experience.

If you have a chance to see glowworms up on the north island instead, sounds like they are also great and cheaper. But if you don't, I would say don't miss it. For me it was one of the best things I've seen in NZ. I've seen the glowworms in nature on the sides of cliffs not caves, and for me the caves were better. It is a very unique thing to be in a small boat, in the dark, inside a cave far from the civilized world. Everyone naturally falls silent in awe.

9. Re: Is the glow worm tour worth the $70 price. tag.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2012, 06:16