We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips N Tramps vs. Fiordland Tours

Belmont, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trips N Tramps vs. Fiordland Tours

I've been doing some research on day trips to Milford Sound from Te Anau, and narrowed it down to Trips N Tramps or Fiordland Tours. (We are looking for a smaller group that allows us to stop along the way for short walks.)

Any opinions about one versus the other?

Also, a stupid question about sandflies - we will be going in May, so it will be cold enough to be wearing jackets and long pants all day. Is this enough protection, or do we also need to spray our clothes or apply bug repellent to our faces? I am concerned because I tend to have allergic reactions to biting insects...

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,671 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Fiordland Tours
Fiordland Tours
438 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips N Tramps vs. Fiordland Tours

We did a tour in October with Steve of Trips and Tramps and had a great day. He picked us up at our motel at 8:00 a.m. so we could make our tour of Milford Sound on the 10:30 Milford Mariner sailing. The van we were in had seats for about 12, I think, but there were only 5 people--our party of 4 and one single traveller. Steve was a great guide.

He made several stops along the way--to pick up mail and papers to take to Milford, a couple of drive-bys to deliver papers to doorsteps. We stopped at Mirror Lakes and one other rest stop on the way to Milford, as Steve's stated goal was to get us there in time for the boat. We arrived at 10:15, Steve got the tickets for us, and we went directly onto the boat.

After the cruise, Steve met us in the terminal and we began the journey back to Te Anau. Since there was now no place we had to be at a certain time, the drive was a leisurely one, with several great stops along the way. At one point, Steve stopped, pointed out a 30 minute loop walk we could take and told us where we'd find him at the end. When we got there, the van was parked along a rushing creek, Steve had a fire going, boiling water for tea or coffee and we had a nice snack, including some delicious biscuits his wife had made. We were back at our motel by about 4:00.

We had originally planned on driving ourselves, but went with Trips and Tramps so all of us could enjoy the view. Steve was a great guide, and it was nice to have the personal touches. I know we paid more, but, having seen the larger tour groups on the big buses, we thought it was worth it.

Re sandflies--we also had jackets and long pants, but became acquainted with the "Milford wave" on the dock while waiting to board the boat and while on our walk through the woods. I had my bug spray with me and sprayed my clothes to keep them away since I am one of those people who apparently is quite tasty to bugs throughout the world. We weren't really bothered by them, but I'm glad we were covered up.

Mentioned in this post
Trips & Tramps
Trips & Tramps
328 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,671 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,118 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips N Tramps vs. Fiordland Tours

The sandflies will bite face, hands and scalp unless you wear repellent.

You shouldn't have any trouble with them on the boat, just on land.

Even with the sandflies, Fiordland is remarkable. Enjoy :)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips N Tramps vs. Fiordland Tours

I'd have to say Trips n Tramps. They're used by all the top accommodations in the area for the best group and private touring options (such as five-star Fiordland Lodge). I'm not familiar with Fiordland Tours.

Mentioned in this post
Fiordland Lodge
Fiordland Lodge
343 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Fiordland Tours
Fiordland Tours
438 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips N Tramps vs. Fiordland Tours

Trips and Tramps have a long history of professional service, very experienced and knowledgable guides and are well respected in the tourism industry by those of us who recommend services to visitors to our area. Their vans are the best there are, and their flexibility with guests enable them to cater for whoever is on board. Whether you want to just relax and enjoy, or be bit adventerous, their guides can cater for that on your trip.

One thing I love about Trips and Tramps is that for as long as they have been going, they have undertaken a pest control programme near milford which is helping to bring the birds back to this area. Not that you would know they did that, you will be touring Milford while they get on with that!

Edited: 09 September 2011, 23:21
Mentioned in this post
Trips & Tramps
Trips & Tramps
328 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips N Tramps vs. Fiordland Tours

Either tour would be enjoyable. However I do admire the pest control work that Trips and Tramps gets involved in. Being passionate about the area is easily recognized, yet goes unnoticed in the tiresome marketing hype of Milford Sound.

Mentioned in this post
Trips & Tramps
Trips & Tramps
328 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,671 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
6. Re: Trips N Tramps vs. Fiordland Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 12:17