We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Dunedin to Te Anau

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
59 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Dunedin to Te Anau

Hi.. I'm planning to take the Taieri Gorge Train ride that ends on 4.30pm in Dunedin during End of Aug.

My question is, is it safe to drive from Dunedin to Te Anau if i started my journey on 5pm?

I plan to go along Dunedin-Balclutha-Gore-Lumsden-Te Anau route. and i estimate the driving time to be 4~5hours? and reach Te Anau around 9~10pm..

Is it safe to drive at this hour of time along this road?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Dunedin to Te Anau

Are you a safe driver? A road is only as safe as the driver and conditions allow.

In late August you are likely to encounter ice on the road after dark, possibly as early as 7pm. The roads aren't overly steep but are twisty and there is no lighting whatsoever apart from your car headlights.

I suggest you plan another night in Dunedin and, road conditions permitting, begin driving after 10am the following morning once the overnight ice has melted somewhat.

Safe travels :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
59 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Dunedin to Te Anau

Thanks for the advise. I'm a safe driver, but the road condition is out of my control.

Sigh!! this will put me into a dilemma, whether i shall sacrifice the Taieri Gorge Train ride or not (if i want to be at Te Anau on time for the milford sound tour the next morning).. How i wish i have more time to spend in NZ!!

i guess i will need to think of something to lessen the itineraries in my trip..

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Dunedin to Te Anau

You may find the winter mild... or there could be lots of ice and snow. Best to remain flexible in your plans to allow for weather delays.

best of luck :)

Edited: 08 July 2011, 12:15
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
59 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Dunedin to Te Anau

Thx for the advice again.. i'll definitely take that into considerations.

5. Re: Drive from Dunedin to Te Anau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 06:18