We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Queenstown to Te Anau - Google Maps discrepency

Los Angeles
11 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Queenstown to Te Anau - Google Maps discrepency

Google Maps indicates it takes 2 hours 11 mins going FROM Queenstown to Te Anau, but over 4 hours coming back, because you can't take the same road. It says you can take Highway (?) 6 going there, but have to take Highway 8 coming back. Any idea if it's accurate and you can't take Highway 6 back to Queenstown?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Queenstown to Te Anau - Google Maps discrepency

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum :)

There is only one road Queenstown to Te Anau unless one wants to go via Dunedin which is seriously off-route.

Google times are notoriously random. Some are spot on, many are illegal if not impossible. For accurate drive times (allow longer to eat, rest, sightsee etc) then use AA www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

Queenstown to Te Anau is 2 hours and yes, it is also 2 hours back.

Happy planning :)

Los Angeles
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Queenstown to Te Anau - Google Maps discrepency

Fantastic! Thanks so much for the help and the link!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Queenstown to Te Anau - Google Maps discrepency

Mike,

thanks so much for asking this. I noticed the same thing and it was driving me CRAZY!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,694 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Queenstown to Te Anau - Google Maps discrepency

On a similar but slightly different bent, I have just made 2 return trips from Christchurch to Blenheim.Each time I used 15% more fuel returning than going! There was negligible wind either time and I used a different side of the same road

I can only assume that it is a myth the way globes are shown with the northern hemisher on the "top". Surely the globe should be shown the otherway around and driving north to south is actually down hill?

The first trip was in an i30, the second in a land cruiser towing a caravan. Same 15% difference.

5. Re: Driving from Queenstown to Te Anau - Google Maps discrepency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 10:18