We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

Singapore
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

Would appreciate any suggestions on these 2 operators. I am planning to travel in May from Te Anau

Real Journeys has 2 types, Scenic (NZ$165) and Nature (NZ$175).

Anyone knows the difference?

Milford Sount Select is NZ$119, which is considerably cheaper than Real Journeys. How do they compare?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

In January we did the trip through Naked Bus Company who used Milford Sound Select coaches. The coach was very comfortable, had a glass roof and from what I heard did the same route as all other coaches. The driver we had on our trip was just excellent, he had such a wealth of knowledge and passion for the area it really added to the trip. As you know there is quite a difference in cost and the money save there was well spent on other things. Enjoy your trip whichever company you take.

Margtee

Singapore
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

I went with Milford Sound Select in the end coz it is cheaper. No glass roof top but it wasn't much of an issue for us. But we were told to board the Real Journey Cruise when we are there.

Found the trip quite ok. But my parents thought China had better similar views so they were a bit bored.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

Fiords in China?? Do tell me where!! You wonder why some people travel LOL

Singapore
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

i don't think they are refering to fiords. I think they meant chang jiang ..haha

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

Our water isn't rank with industrial pollutants and the air is pure and clean. We haven't put a bloody great big dam in the middle of it. (Yet!?) And the roads weren't built by political prisoners, and displaced refugees from their flooded villages. Other than that, yeah, same same.

Not really a fair comparison. But hey, thanks for your tourist dollars. We do appreciate them. Hope you had a happy journey.

6. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 22:27
Edited: 30 September 2013, 22:27
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

Nope, not feeling defensive. I also believe the drive to Milford far better than the cruise.

But what I do try to avoid is going on a travel website and saying oh I visited your .... but frankly, have seen better elsewhere.

Ferndale, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

I don't know if it fits your itinerary, but we spent time in Doubtful Sound instead of Milford Sound on our honeymoon. The operator was Fiordland Expeditions. Our experience with them was beyond outstanding. We did see the larger tour operators there and while they seemed to offer a quality service , the size of their boats and operation would give you a much less personal experience. Fiordland Expeditions went out of their way to make sure we were happy and made our trip incredibly memorable. Also, we were very pleased to visit Doubtful Sound vs the more popular Milford Sound. Felt it offered a less congested and more wilderness experience.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

Ferndale, kind of you to provide the additional information. I'm sure other travelers will benefit from it. In this case though, the original poster has already completed their journey and returned back home.

Look forward to hearing more of your suggestions.

10. Re: Real Journeys or Milford Sound Select

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:16