We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand itinary for 25 days

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand itinary for 25 days

I will arrive in New Zealand from England on 18 December 2012 with husband and 8 year old daughter. We will stay in Auckland for 2 days, then pick up a motor home for 23 days flying back from Christchurch. Could anybody please give me some good ideas what to do and which camp grounds to stay, so a child enjoys it as well. We are all into outdoors stuff, not cities and museums.

Thank you!

Christine

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,565 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand itinary for 25 days

23 days might seem like a long time but it isn't really long enough to do both islands. flying back from CHC is a good idea.

7-10 days in the NI, depending on whether you want to go to the Bay of Islands for a 3 day beach break; then make your way south via Rotorua (Hobbiton if you like LOTR), Taupo, Napier & Wellington.

In the SI, Picton to Nelson to Punakaiki, FJG, Wanaka, Te Anau/Milford Sound, Queenstown, Mt Cook, Chch will easily fill 12-14 days.

You'll be doing a lot of 5-6 hours drives.

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand itinary for 25 days

Look up some of the bus tour companies and see what they do. Dont copy them, just get an idea of where they go and how long they take.

Work out what you MUST SEE, then fill the gaps.

On the NI my highlights would be 1 day around Auckland, Pahia/Russell/Cape Reinga, Rotorua full day, West coast to New Plymouth/Taranaki orEast Coast Napier/Hastings down to Wellington (Full Day). My MUST SEE is Rotorua & Taranaki.

Across to the SI you do an East Coast or West Coast circuit, Kaikoura, Christchurch, Akaroa, Mt Cook, Queenstown, Te Anau as a base for with Milford or Doubtful Sound. The West Coast and Fox/Franz Joseph Glaciers and the Marlborough Region. My MUST SEE are Akaroa, Milford or Doubtful Sounds, Glenorchy nr Queenstown & Mt Cook.

Just choose some destinations and fill out in between, you wont be dissapointed.

3. Re: New Zealand itinary for 25 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 20:18