We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claustrophobic

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Claustrophobic

We have the option of taking a tour of these caves. But I'm claustrophobic. Would love to see them but hesitate to book this. Anyone else with this problem or any advice?

Thanks

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claustrophobic

If you're talking about doing the glowworm caves, there are a couple of very short parts of it with some tight space to squeeze through (e.g., having to squat down), but nothing tight enough that you'd have to crawl through it. The boat ride inside you have the top of the cave not too far overhead (maybe a meter?), which is nice since it makes the glowworms pretty close, but might not be great for someone with claustrophobia. I don't know if it being pitch black in that part would make things better or worse, but eventually when your eyes adjust the glowworms shed some good light on you.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Claustrophobic

If you are claustrophobic I would avoid the glow worm caves. In my opinion they are over rated and a visit to Milford or Doubtful Sound is a far superior option.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Claustrophobic

Skip the caves, go see the short film on Fiordland, Ata Whenua, instead - it's great :)

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Claustrophobic

thanks so much! Your information was enough to make my decision no to go! I knew I could get sound advice on this forum.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,582 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Claustrophobic

There is a time and place for overcomming anxiety. You are on holiday, there are plenty of other interesting things to do in this region with out stressing yourself.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Claustrophobic

Glow-worms don't just occur in caves, you can also seem them along moist river banks. I remember seeing them in the Wellington Botanic Gardens once. Where else are you going on your trip? Maybe there is an easily accessible glow-worm area you can visit.

7. Re: Claustrophobic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 05:15