We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Later times for the Milford Sound coach/cruise from Te Anau?

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Later times for the Milford Sound coach/cruise from Te Anau?

I am not able to get to get to Te Anau until bout 11am. Are there tours to Milford Sound that depart Te Anau that late? I'd rather take the coach then drive myself so I can enjoy the scenery. Most of the ones I've found seem to leave by 10:15am or earlier.

If so, then I might do the doubtful sound overnight cruise that day in stead since it seems to leave Te Anau around 11am.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Later times for the Milford Sound coach/cruise from Te Anau?

To my knowledge there are no tours originating in Te Anau which depart later than about 8.30. The tour coaches from Queenstown pass through Te Anau between 10 and 11 am, although not many would be as late as 11am, as the Te Anau Milford leg takes about 2 hours, and it is getting a bit late to take a cruise and return to Queenstown.

Real Journeys coaches will take on passengers in Te Anau, as do other coaches, but you would need to check with the companies as to times etc.

I think you will probably find the best alternative is to drive yourself. You should check out the latest departure times of the cruises on Milford Sound to ensure they return in time for you to do whatever else you have planned.

I think the overnight Milford cruise also departs later in the day, so that might be another option, Or perhaps you could consider a fly/cruise/coach from either Queenstown or Te Anau.

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Later times for the Milford Sound coach/cruise from Te Anau?

Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like we'll need to adjust our plans a little bit. I really do not want to have to get up at the crack of dawn and rush our drive from Queenstown to Te Anau in order to make the early morning coach to Milford Sound. Therefore, in stead we'll book the Doubtful Sound overnight cruise since it departs TA a bit later. When we return from the overnight cruise we can drive ourselves from TA to Milford Sound and take an afternoon cruise and then then return TA that evening and spend the night there. Does that sound more feasible?

I was hoping to catch the glow worm caves but doesn't sound like we'll have time to fit it in :(

Edited: 05 April 2013, 21:53
South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Later times for the Milford Sound coach/cruise from Te Anau?

Some of the tour companies run different times depending on time of the year. When are you doing this trip?

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Later times for the Milford Sound coach/cruise from Te Anau?

We will be there from April 18-30th. Will be in Fiordland approximately April 25-27th. Sooooo soon, can't wait!!!

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Later times for the Milford Sound coach/cruise from Te Anau?

Some coaches leave about 10.30am or later from Boulevard Cafe half way up the main street in Te Anau. You don't need to book as its not peak time and there is ample capacity. So if you can get to Te Anau by about 10.30am pick out a coach you like and go with them.

After the 1st of May most of the coaches will leave Te Anau at earlier times.

6. Re: Later times for the Milford Sound coach/cruise from Te Anau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 06:16