We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

Hi Experts,

Since we will be travelling to NZ South Islands in this winter (July), so can anyone please suggest whether its worth buying winter clothes (like down jacket, thermal wears etc) in New zealand ??

We stay in Singapore an not sure whether to buy here or in New zealand (Christchurch).

If we can buy in New zealand, then please let us know the brands and type of clothes that we have to buy in any outlets (Christchurch).

Thanks in advance !! :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,085 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

You will find good quality outdoor clothing expensive in NZ. Budget quality from chainstores like The Warehouse, or mid -range from Farmers may be adequate. If quality is important look for Icebreaker, Snowy Peaks ( factory-shop near the Airport, in Roydvale Ave), MacPac (shop at Northlands Mall) etc.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

Actually Im a NZer and could buy icebreaker cheaper in USA. But then the real quality stuff isnt probably much use to you as you wont have a need for it in Singapore. Im pretty certain you could buy cheap merino and jackets much much cheaper in Asia as most of the stuff you buy in NZ has been made there anyway.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

Hi,

Will you use the gear after this trip? If not I would only buy thermals, merino wool for preference and some cheap fleece mid layers of pants and tops.

For outers I would hire ski pants and parkas.

If you are going to do some walking you will need waterproof light weight hiking shoes.

Cheers,

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

Check out stores like The Warehouse, Postie Plus who are having winter sales on at the moment clearing out their winter stock. Their quality of clothing, range and costings will be more than adequate for your wants and needs. Prepare to layer your clothing whilst in NZ such that you can add or take off clothing as required dependant upon weather conditions prevailing at the time. Make sure you have a good waterproof and wind proof jacket and shoes that can take a bit of water should you be caught in the rain or snow.

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

I live in Singapore too and bought my winter wear for previous trips to winter climates online, from the US. the variety online is much better than Singapore, and the prices are about 50-75% of what you'd pay here. You can try some coats/thermals at Planet Traveller, The North Face etc, and then go online to buy (esp with free Amazon global shipping now for purchases above USD125).

But, seeing that you're leaving soon, you might want to try Uniqlo - their thermals and jackets are affordable and not bad in terms of quality. Just not sure if they have it in store now, since it's summer in Japan!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

banoffi -

Thanks for the tip about free Amazon global shipping! I just might have to order myself some 100% Kona coffee.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

Oops, only works for India and Singapore, bummer.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

Hi,

You may find this site useful for thermals etc but like I said if you are only going to need the clothing for this trip i would only buy thermals and waterproof hiking shoes. Don't forget to "break in" the shoes before the trip.

www.bivouac.co.nz/products.html…

Cheers,

9. Re: Is it worth buying Winter wears in New Zealand ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 06:19