We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandflies

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
214 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
sandflies

Will there be sandflies anywhere late November through Dec 11? Is regular bug repellant sufficient?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sandflies

I have never been bothered by sandflies at Te Anau - but Milford is usually a sandfly mecca year round.

And no, best get sandfly repellent here - they generally love the exotic stuff brought in by tourists and they flock to it... and them.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sandflies

I always use my US purchased 100% DEET while in NZ and it works great. I realize a lot of people don't like DEET, but it's the only thing that seems to work for us where sandflies are concerned.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
214 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sandflies

Where else in New Zealand are we likely to encounter sandflies? What weather, location etc do they like? Are they like a gnat or US black fly?

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sandflies

Deet is man made chemical that can be absorbed through the skin with undisclosed health risks. To play it safe seek out some of the more natural products sold in local health shops. The sandflies can be avoided in most places except in the summer months.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sandflies

rather than list everywhere, easier if you post your itinerary.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
214 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sandflies

North Island: Auckland, Bethell's Beach., Rotoura, Wellington.

South Island: Queenstown, Wanaka, Te Anau ( both fjords), Mount Cook, Dunedin/Otago Peninsula

I have bug shirts with screen on the face and bug pants with closed ankles. Thinking of bringing them.

Thank you for any comments. Our trip is Nov 20- Dec 11.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sandflies

The only places you are likely to encounter sand flies in annoying proportions are the fiords. The towns themselves - QT, Wanaka, Te Anau are relatively sandfly free. Mount Cook is too alpine.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sandflies

Useful link: www.teara.govt.nz/en/sandflies-and-mosquitoes

California
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sandflies

You'll only have concerns on the Fiords. A local repellent is made of Detol and olive or baby oil. It smells bad, but seems to keep the sandflies away.

They are small, like a gnat. You won't feel them when they land on you, nor hear them when they fly. But certainly large enough to see.

They don't like rain, nor wind, can't keep up with you when you walk. And they disappear when the sun goes down.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sandflies

We got chewed up by sandflies in Mt Cook in August - I never expected them there, but they were there!