We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daylight hours in July

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
321 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Daylight hours in July

How many daylight hours in July are there? I am driving from Christchurch to Te Anau, but I assume actual "light on the road" might be minimal that time of year. Please advise on driving hours and light. thx

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daylight hours in July

www.timebie.com/sun/te_anau_new_zealand.php…

Edited: 01 December 2013, 00:15
Oz
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daylight hours in July

Hi,

There is more to consider than hours of daylight.

Black ice is what brings many undone and is likely to be found before 1000hrs and after 1600hrs. Black ice hangs around all day in shaded cuttings and timber bridges.

Chhers,

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,789 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daylight hours in July

Oz is right. It is light by 8am in July and getting darker by 5pm. But road driving conditions in Winter can include ice, snow and rain. It can be slower. If unfamiliar with roads you wouldnt want to drive winter condition roads outside urban areas before 10 or after 4.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Daylight hours in July

I agree with previous poster. Also, make sure you have a waterproof hooded jacket/coat, warm clothing and a change of footwear in the car with you. NZ weather can be very unpredictable, and in that area cold and wet (as in torrential rain!) Also I'd be making sure I kept the petrol tank full as it is quite a remote area!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daylight hours in July

I hope you don't plan this drive in one day?!?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daylight hours in July

Why wouldn't they drive it in one day? Sure you're in the car for a reasonable amount of time, but people all over the world spend a lot longer in cars than what is being proposed here.

7. Re: Daylight hours in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 06:18