We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

Our travel agent has suggested that we spend 2 nights over New Year's in Te Anau at the Distinction Luxmore Hotel, but, only 63% recommend it on Tripadvisor (3.5 rating, 4 star). Is there another place we should consider?

We will be two couples.

Our budget is no more than $200US ($234 New Zealand) including parking per couple.

Any type of accommodation would be considered, but, would prefer something quiet and charming with parking. We could consider a 2+ bedroom apartment etc.

Thank you.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

There is a hostel a couple of buildings down from there that we paid $128NZ to book all four beds to get a room,kitchen, and bathroom to ourselves a couple of years ago. Not sure the name though; I know it is a place owned by Tracknet, the bus company. Bunk beds and all, but I don't think people go to The Anau for the hotels.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 18:41
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

Lousy spell check on my Google Nexus changing Te Anau to The Anau, haha.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

There are many motels along the waterfront or lakeside to choose from. Trip advisor reviews are not always the best judge, as it has been revealed that some companies are posting 5 star false reviews in exchange for a fee. So I would urge caution when relying on reviews.

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

Read my comments to your Kaikoura question, and if TA Reviews are doubted that could also go for comments here !!!!!

As for Kaikoura, plenty of nice accommodation in Te Anau and just about every other town in NZ.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255124-d302…

and I can assure you, no one paid me to reveiw - bother, I must be doing this all wrong!

Edited: 15 March 2014, 22:19
South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

Wanaka Lakes

Your link directs to a review you posted many years ago, is this intended?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

We stayed at the other Distinction along the waterfront at te anau. It's nice, clean and convenient. We chose first floor units facing the lake and unfortunately they don't have lifts. Luckily we travel light. But they do have bell service if you need. I think they have 1-2 bedroom apartments but they don't face the lake. No problem with parking.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

Bill - we were asked to recommend Te Anau accommodation.

I posted my recommendation - a place I have stayed and liked.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

Thank you so much. I will check these out.

Yes, I am aware of the problem with some Tripadvisor reviews. But, haven't been steered wrong yet. When I select my own accommodations, I usually aim for a Tripadvisor rating of 4 or more after carefully excluding the reviews from the brand new posters (only 1 review). I look also to see whether there is a pattern in the reviews that would concern me (e.g., several saying it is noisy or dirty). IMHO quiet and clean is really important.

SouthIslandBill--is there another source that you go to for reviews of accommodations?

Since am planning a trip that includes friends--want to double-check to make sure that we have nice places to stay--not just "OK" places. It will likely be the only trip to New Zealand for our friends (one of whom is turning 80 this May).

Edited: 16 March 2014, 11:22
South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative to Distinction Luxmore Hotel for 2 nights?

Despite the problems with reviews Trip Advisor is still the best source of information. I would disregard reviews that are older than 6 months as the most recent reviews should be the most accurate, provided that they are genuine. When traveling about word of mouth is always a good source of info.