We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Queenstown to Te Anau for Cruises

India
Level Contributor
43 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Queenstown to Te Anau for Cruises

Hi

We are planning to spend 2 nights in Te Anau -- to do the Milford Found Day cruise and and the Doubtufl Sound Overnight cruise.

We are staying in Te Anau -- since we dont want to the long trip from Queenstown to Milford and back on the same day. So the question is -- what is the best way to get to Te Anau from Milford?

1) Tracknet regular bus -- 430 pm --

2) Backroad Bus fracknet - 12 pm.

I was wondering if the Backroad bus route is scenic and worth the extra time/cost?

Also if I take a bus from Queenstown -- as part of the Milford Sound cruise- they have nice buses with glass roofs, and they stop along the way to take photos -- I am afraid I will miss all this if I simply take a Tracknet bus to transfer me from Queenstown to Te Anau

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

Peter Theobald

Mumbai, India

planning a trip end October with wife and 12 year old son

Dont want to drive in South Island

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Queenstown to Te Anau for Cruises

<<So the question is -- what is the best way to get to Te Anau from Milford?>> - the backroad bus only runs Queenstown to Te Anau and back. There is only one road in/out of Milford so there are no alternative roads.

And yes, the backroad bus passes through stunning scenery on the way to/from Queenstown/te Anau.

As far as I know the Milford Sound buses starting in Queenstown don't stop enroute to Te Anau The best scenery begins after Te Anau - the bus will stop at te Anau allowing you time for food and loo and they will stop a number of times after Te Anau.

India
Level Contributor
43 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Queenstown to Te Anau for Cruises

Sorry -- there was a typo in my question. It should have read -- what is the best way to get from QUEENSTOWN to Te Anau -- --- via the bus provided by the Milford Sound Cruise provider, by Tracknet or the Backroad bus

Thanks

PEter

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,622 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Queenstown to Te Anau for Cruises

Whichever suits your time frame. As WLnz commented. There are no stops between QTN & Te Anau - the scenic route begins AFTER you leave Te Anau. Take whichever is cheapest/most convenient time to get to Te Anau & next day choose the best option on price/time/quality of bus etc for the return tour to MS.

India
Level Contributor
43 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Queenstown to Te Anau for Cruises

Thanks!!!

Te Anau, New Zealand
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Queenstown to Te Anau for Cruises

Between Queenstown and Te Anau, if you have the time take the BackRoad bus. It is a superb alternative to the main drive and passes beautiful scenery, a cruise on the Earnslaw and historic homesteads...

6. Re: Best way to get from Queenstown to Te Anau for Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2015, 05:15