We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Christchurch to Te Anau

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Christchurch to Te Anau

Hi Barry, a good question for you. We will be driving from CHC for Te Anau starting October 26 taking the Lake Tekapo route. I have penciled in a note that a realistic goal that day is Queenstown. Just how long does it take to drive at the posted speed limit. I would sooner keep going rather than stopping at QTWN. I guess another factor is the weather and when sunset happens. See my other email regarding reservations.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Te Anau

Hi Xlimey

We take 8 hours to drive Te Anau to Christchurch or vice versa. THis is at around the posted limit of 100kph, and just one stop, at Omarama, for fuel & food (about 15minutes.)

ChCh / Qtn is 6 hours.

I think a realistic time for you would be 9 - 10 hours ChCh / Te Anau, since you will probably want to stop along the way for photos, or to stretch your legs. It is after all, a holiday, and you don't want to spend the whole day driving.

We commence daylight saving this Sunday morning (1st October), so on Sunday it will be getting light about 7.30am, and dark about 8pm. THis will extend progressively until , I think, Dec 20th, at which time it gets light about 4.30am, and dark at about 11pm.

I think by Oct 25th you should have about 14 hours of daylight, so plenty of time to drive the whole way if you wished.

You must be getting excited now you are on the final countdown. H ope you have it all sorted now, and I liik forward to seeing you.

Cheers,

Barry

2. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Te Anau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 10:21