We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denniston Mine Experience

Which Westport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
Denniston Mine Experience

My family just did this. It is truly world class and we have travelled the world so this was a pleasant surprise. Much more interesting way to spend 2 hours than whale watching. The people there are wonderful, very friendly and entertaining and extremely knowledgable about the history of mining. Ride into the mine do some mining and see the very well done Av presentation. A real bargain compared with what you can pay elsewhere for attractions which are often very amateurish.

5 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denniston Mine Experience

It sounds like you had a great time there! You can add your review to others on this page

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2208392-d…

This would be so useful for other people thinking about whether to visit the Denniston Mine.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Denniston Mine Experience

There is an interesting debate going on at present that is trying to determine if the the Denniston plateau's unparalleled ecological wealth is worth more than the short term economic benefits of an open cast coal mine.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denniston Mine Experience

thanks for your report. please do a review in the revirew section. when I went to vist the mine experience, they werent open to show us through, so i am really please to read your report.

Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denniston Mine Experience

Great to hear you enjoyed the tour. Unfortunately we are having trouble getting the ghost town of Denniston included under Westport on Trip Advisor. A pity as often people are unaware of this unique experience.

Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denniston Mine Experience

The Denniston mine Experience takes you into the first of the mines on Denniston Plateau, recreating this period in mining history. This mine opened in 1878 and was the first of a number a mines on the Plateau since then.

The Denniston Incline was used to take the coal from the plateau to sea level and was an amazing feat of engineering. The plateau itself is spectacular and has the remains of a number of communities to explore, along with information panels covering the history.

Note: Buller Coal - the mining company who now have approval to re-mine part of this plateau are a seperate entity and will operate in a separate area.

Reply to: Denniston Mine Experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Westport