We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfall Way with 2 small children?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
76 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Waterfall Way with 2 small children?

Hello! We are most likely going to be stopping in Armidale on a road trip up to Queensland in July. Although we are just planning on a stopover, I am wondering if it would be enjoyable to take an extra day and drive from Armidale to Coffs Harbour and see the sights of Waterfall Way. Is this a unique environment (we have seen the rainforests along the coast, for example, in Port Mac)? Is it likely to be foggy and/or dangerous (icy or slick with rain) in the morning in July? This might be a tough sell for my family as it would take a day off our time at the beach, and my partner dislikes driving up the Pacific Hwy, which we would have to do from Coffs Harbour with this plan. Is it possible to do some of the shorter walks/lookouts without too dangerous of drop-offs? Are the roads sealed? We will be in a rental car with the usual restrictions and are not keen to violate them. My children are 3 and 5.

We are Americans who spend part of the year in Australia, and have traveled extensively in New South Wales, including having driven through Armidale before. Any input is appreciated!

Edited: 06 June 2014, 07:55
2 replies to this topic
Armidale
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterfall Way with 2 small children?

The waterfall way is the only road that links Armidale to the coast, it is sealed but is not in the best condition as it is not designated a national hwy and is therefore maintained by local councils. There are natural attractions along the way including waterfalls at Ebor but the main attraction would be Dorrigo national park which has a fairly easy walk in the rainforest.

There could be fog through Dorrigo but no way to tell, the road can be bumpy and winding so if the kids get car sick be prepared. There are also very few safe places to pass other vehicles so you can get stuck behind trucks and caravans.

If your partner is not keen to drive up the pacific I would say that it is not really worth your while to do this drive. Also with your kids age there is nothing that will hold their interest for more than a few minutes. Whilst it is very scenic it is nothing that is a must see and I say this as someone who lived just south of coffs before moving to Armidale.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
76 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterfall Way with 2 small children?

Thank you, armidillian- apologies for the delayed response, for some reason I did not get a notification of your answer. Sounds like I would love it but, not a great plan for this trip. It is a drive I have always wanted to do, though!

Reply to: Waterfall Way with 2 small children?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Armidale