We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innes Boatshed Demise

Which Batemans Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Innes Boatshed Demise

sad to report that for all lovers of the best fish and chips on the south coast and the ambiance of the river side location, the end of innes boatshed is nigh. despite many protests to save the heritage building and the innes business which i think has been there for at least 50 years, the council and the nsw gov have decided that the site needs redevelopment and 'improvement'. they have given approval to a japanese company to build a two storey glass and aluminium box (the artists's impression is a monstrosity) which will have a 5 star restaurant on top. the family thinks they will be there for another year max. so when in batemans bay pay your last respects to this tourist icon. the locals will miss it as well.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,629 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innes Boatshed Demise

So Wollongong City Council moved to Eurobodalla Shire, did it?

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innes Boatshed Demise

Stinks TBH.

Just as well i didn't end up marrying that boy in 1980 something. His pontiac was a doozy! ;)

It doesn't really matter which OS consortium got the gong whatever the local council does it is supposed to consider its constituents first... but obviously the $$$ via the sly hand has ruled.

Can anything be done?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innes Boatshed Demise

They've been trying to get rid of the Boatshed for a while. I remember signing a petition a few years ago. Then they stopped them catching their own fish (do you know where they get their fish from now Lien?). I miss seeing the trawlers out the back :-(

I saw the pic in the Bay Post online. I don't really mind it that much, but it's sooo wrong for Batemans Bay. No charm, no character, no history. What are they trying to turn the Bay into?

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Innes Boatshed Demise

That's sad sad news.

Neil, Ben, and Grant must be extremely upset. At least the old man didn't get to see the demise.

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Innes Boatshed Demise

I loved going there

. It was the freshest seafood ever and the atmosphere was A1 .

I really enjoy the Back to basics atmosphere of it. The up market marble and glass establishments just cant imitate the atmosphere that this Ausi run family business provided.

You just felt happy being there and having real fish and chips

6. Re: Innes Boatshed Demise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 07:28