We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Different areas of Batemans Bay

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Different areas of Batemans Bay

Hi there fellow travellers.

Is there anyone out there who knows Batemans Bay well?

We have narrowed down a Batemans Bay stopover of 4 nights, to five different apartments/houses in the area.

I am just wondering whether anyone can shed any light as to the various areas and what they are like.

1. Batemans Bay central I think. Near hospital.

2. Surf Beach.

3. Long Beach.

4. Caseys Beach. This one is on Beach Road - Would that be busy/noisy?

5. Near Batehaven Shopping Centre. Short stroll to Corrigans Beach.

We are staying in May, and will have a toddler with us.

Would like to be in quiet area, but not too far from food shops.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
Batemans Bay, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

1. not my choice...suburban; but near lots of shops. on the river. no beach as such.

2. nice area, small shopping centre, good ocean beach

3. on the north side of the river. estuary type beach. quite a drive into town. dont remember anything about shops there. not a place i go from choice.

4. reasonable area but could be noisy on the main road. it's quite busy. beach isn't all that nice.

5.suburban, lots of shops at batehaven. at the river mouth. recreation areas. corrigans beach is never appealing to me. always looks dirty.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

Bateman's Bay is at the mouth of the Clyde River so no beaches as such in town although the Riverside Caravan Park on the north side of the river offers a stretch of sand to walk on and a good sand bar for paddling at low tide. It is a short walk across the bridge into town so very convenient. Also walk to the Pier restaurant for lunch!

Surf Beach is a southern suburb of BB and it is about a 15min drive into town but is the pick of the beaches in the area.

Long Beach is a residential area on north side of town.

Caseys - agree with lien

Batehaven - closer to town with its own shops etc. Corrigans is still in the bay so not a true ocean beach.

Bateman's Bay itself is not really a fabulous spot for beaches but it does have heaps of shops & restaurants. For good beaches I would look further north or south. If you want to be close to shops etc - stay in town and drive to the beaches during the day. In May it's not like you will be spending a lot of time swimming.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
Batemans Bay, Australia
Batehaven
Batehaven
Batemans Bay, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

Thanks to both lien and tez for your replies. It helps to get views from people who know the area. I am finally starting to get a feel for what is where!

No, we won't likely be swimming in May! At the most, the toddler may paddle, but I was more thinking of just an attractive area to be in, for walking and spending time, and also being close to food shopping, without being in a noisy area.

I will use your comments, and that of any others, when I choose where we will stay.

Thanks again! Your input is appreciated.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

u can always look around the place with google street view.

btw, may is still a good time for a swim esp if the warm current hangs around.

Edited: 22 March 2011, 00:40
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

Thanks lien. I might try google street view as suggested. Hadn't really thought of that.

South Coast...
Level Contributor
3 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

Hi, I am from Durras which is 20 minutes north of Batemans Bay but I know the Bay well.

1. It is Central. Around 5-10 minute walk to shopping area.

2. Surf Beach. Probably a little too far out.

3. See above.

4. Yes, it is a very busy road. Nice beach, but once you have walked it, not much else in the area.

5. Batehaven. Probably the best option after Central. Quieter than the Central area and also has a small and friendly shopping centre. About 20 minutes walk to Bay Central.

Enjoy the south coast.

Mentioned in this post
Batehaven
Batehaven
Batemans Bay, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

Hi

I live in Batemans Bay so know the area well.

1. near the hospital not the best area

2. Surf Beach, make sure it is near the beach there are some holiday rentals that advertise near the beach when they are not. There is a small shopping centre at Surf Beach, with a couple of restaurants, an IGA, chemist etc. Nice children's play ground right on the beach and nice beach walk from Surf Beach to Wimbie Beach or Denhams Beach.

3. Long Beach - too far away from the Bay nothing there, mainly a residential area

4. Casey's Beach - close to Batehaven, not the nicest beach even for paddling.

5. Near Batehaven shops - great playground in the park opposite the shops, great Bakehouse and ok sort of beach.

It depends what you want to do, I would probably recommend staying in the Bay itself, there are a couple of motels right on the river such as Zorba's where you can enjoy the town and walk along the boardwalk. which has little wharves where you can sit and watch the river. Another option might be the Big 4 park which is between the Golf club and Batehaven shops and has a pool and a jumping pillow which kids love.

Having a car, you can drive further south to Surf Beach or Malua Bay to enjoy some beautiful beaches.

Jodi

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
Batemans Bay, Australia
Batehaven
Batehaven
Batemans Bay, Australia
Malua Bay
Malua Bay
Eurobodalla, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

Thanks Kaalo and Jodi06, for your helpful comments.

We are now going to be there in August, as have had a change of plans.

I am looking mainly for accommodation which will give us plenty of space, (ie three bedrooms and two bathrooms), so that we won't be in each other's hair. Hence, a motel will not really suit our needs at this time. We could now have four adults and two children.

Being right on the beach is not as important as being in a nice area, but a short walk to the beach, and also would be great to be walking distance to a nice playground for the toddler.

It is so helpful to have advice from people who live in Batemans Bay, as we've never been there. We are so looking forward to it!

9. Re: Different areas of Batemans Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2016, 02:15