We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Bathurst

Which Bathurst hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in Bathurst

We had the pleasure f spending last Friday night and most of Sat in the plesant town of Bathurst.

Guru drove up via Bell's Line of Road on Friday lunchtime while I flew up with REX after work. Guru managed the trip in just over 2.5 hours (at least 1/2 hour faster than everyone with us who went via Katoomba due to the long stretches of roadworks.

My flight was efficient and although it only lasted just on 35mins in a very small plane I was most impressed by the attitude and service of all staff, from check in to Pilot. I esp loved the inflight magazine which has great little features about variour REX destinations.

As I arrived at 8pm and we had an early start Sat G and GD ate at The Corwded House Cafe. Great meal from all reports and efficient service.

We stayed at the Country Comfort (we stayed there last year) and GD went to hit the pool not long after they arrived but it was closed for maintenance. Not an issue but the pool was closed for maintenance last year and the motel is on the market. My guess is the much needed repairs wont be done unless a new owner comes on board.

The room was clean and comfortable but at $170pn I felt it was a tad overpriced. The bath dripped continually (sa bad the bath was stained, not a good thing where a town is in drought).

Sat was spent on the side of MT Panorama not watching motor racing. One day I will manage to get into the fig shop and see if they are good. Meanwhile if anyone does, let me know.

We had a picnic lunch in the Gardens in the centre of bathurst and a peak thru the glass into the Begonia House indicated it might well be worth a visit but time was flying and we need to be home by 5.

Back down the bells Line of road we had an opportunity to take in the view (and Guru got to unwind the car on the twists) down the M7 and M5 we made our deadline but only just.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Bathurst

Now GW Rex's planes fit 33 so not that small but certainly different to the major airlines.Better than the Crash 8's of qantas link though!

Bathurst brings back memories of picking cherries at christmas and catching yabbies as a kid.

But for figs come back to the sunny coast in Feb or march and get them at wises Farm-really good.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in Bathurst

Sorry Drron but this was a 16 seater,

LOL the seating allocation was def aussie BBQ style, 6 blokes up the front,

2 exit rows empty another empty row and 5 women down the back! Apparently it has to do with weight loading on the plane.

the seats were quite narrow and much more compact leg room than Q's new dash 8s which i have to admit the one to Albury was pretty good.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,041 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in Bathurst

It's always good to get reports from some of the lower profile spots. Thanks.. Bells Line of Road - can't beat it if you're heading over the divide IMHO. We generally find it both faster and a more pleasant drive than the great western highway.

4. Re: 24 hours in Bathurst

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:21
Get answers to your questions about Bathurst