We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

Has anyone taken the overnight train from Sydney to Broken Hill? My husband and I are thinking of doing this either end of February or middle of March 2009. We were then planning on flying to Melbourne to rent a car and drive the GOR to Adelaide, Kangaroo Island. Would love to know what people thought of the train, Broken Hill, Kangaroo Island...Ana

Sydney
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

Hi Ana,

Here's the link for the Sydney - Broken Hill service

countrylink.info/timetables/…brokenhill_to

It appears that you have two options:

a) Train to Dubbo (a big town also in the west of NSW), then an 8 hr coach journey - probably not very plesant...

b) Train direct to Broken Hill, but this service only runs on Mondays

I've never taken the Sydney - Broken Hill journey myself but I have caught a countrylink train all the way from Sydney to Brisbane. I had no problems with the long distance train trip. If you want more space and comfort you could upgrade from economy to first class. You can read more about the differences here:

countrylink.info/travelling_with_us/onboard_…

There are no sleeper cars available for the Sydney - Broken Hill trains but since it's all during the day you prob won't need that anyway.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,116 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

I think you can do the trip on the Indian Pacific overnight.

see

www.gsr.com.au/our-trains/train-routes.php

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

Ana...first up check your map...broken hill isn't that far from Adelaide (in fact it is virtually a part of south australia) so you should do..

sydney-broken hill-adelaide-KI-melbourne.

imho..you have to love train travel to do the train.

better to rent a car or fly with REX airlines.

I reckon broken hill and surrounds is a good comprehensive outback experience.

why not take some extra time and do a loop

sydney-broken hill-adelaide- melbourne -sydney.

it can get very hot out in the outback in feb march.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

I tend to agree with the above posters and Jacko has good advice.

If it were me - I would fly Sydney to Melbourne, hire your car and do the Great Ocean Road (East to West is best), then do Adelaide and KI, then catch the train from Adelaide to Broken Hill for you train fix (600 kilometres), THEN fly REX from Broken Hill to Sydney (about $230).

Sounds like a great trip and Broken Hill is an excellent place to sample the outback.

sydney
Level Contributor
404 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

I was looking at the options just the other day and found a generic web site covering transport possibilities in and out of Broken Hill. It listed a bus.

Buses R Us allegedly operate three services a week BH to ADL. But the link to their website does not work. Does anyone know anything about them? Do they still exist?

Thanks.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

We have done those drives Jacko mentioned and it was all easy, scenic, very interesting and we do it all over next years march. Depends on the time you have for your trip. Keep an eye on bringing the car to Kangaroo Island, not all rentalcies allow that and it's pretty expensive to bring a car on the ferry too. Coming from Sydney by car you could visit Blue Mountains first and then drive on. See Dubbo's wonderful Zoo and even visit places like Lightning Ridge, Bourke and White Cliffs before Broken Hill. So many places to visit and it make a great loop Sydney-Broken Hill-Adelaide-Melbourne. Also no drop off charges between cities like Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne.

Tet

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

Looking at your question, and not looking at your holiday finances,

I would fly Sydney to Broken Hill.

www.rex.com.au/

Its a fab itinerary to do.

Fly Sydney/ Broken Hill - stay 2 nights.

Fly B/H to Adelaide - stay 1 night.

Drive to Cape Jervis - catch ferry to Kangaroo Island- stay 2 nights.

Fly Adelaide to ????????

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

take the train! the Indian Pacific is a fantastic train to journey on, not in terms of opulent luxury (which it's not) but just as an iconic part of Australia's railways and history. Travel Gold Kangaroo class (first class) if your budget allows so that you get a better sleeping cabin, it's totally worth it and your meals are included. Excellent quality food with a touch of silver service.

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

what about flying to Broken Hill and driving to Mildura? then onto Adelaide or Melbourne for GOR? some country criss-cross, but we'd get GOR in the best direction..originally we were going to fly Syd to Hobart, Tasmania, back to Melbourne for GOR trip to Adelaide, KI., Adelaide, Sydney, home...gave up Tasmania in favour of the outback..maybe a mistake.

actual train ride wasn't the thrill for me...seeing a bit of the outback without having to DRIVE it, was.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Sydney to Broken Hill

Broken Hill to Mildura is not that interesting but a smooth drive. Just before Wentworth are the Perry Sandhills Red Dunes very worth a visit with a giant Gum Tree. You also can see the confluence of Darling and Murray River in this area and peddle boat steamers. Now you have to decide wether to go to Adelaide or to GOR. On your way to GOR you should not miss wonderful Grampians and stay a couple of days if you can. We will be in Tasmania next year and all posters have said: Don't miss.. and the more I'm reading about Tasmania the more I think we made a good choice.

Tet