We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

broken hill to sydney

Which Broken Hill hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
broken hill to sydney

Hi is there many place where you can stop and get petrol ?? i am many asking from broken as its a long way out there .

7 replies to this topic
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: broken hill to sydney

what route are u contemplating?

plenty of places on the sydney wagga, hay, mildura route as long as u fill up at mildura. the interem point between mildura and BH can be a bit iffy with fuel.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,391 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: broken hill to sydney

Hi,

If your driving along the Barrier Hwy there are many stops for petrol. I presume you are driving from BH to Sydney ??

its approx 1,144 km, 12.5 hours - to Sydney from BH, Split the trip into 2 - stopover in Dubbo.

BH to Wilcannia - 196 km, 2 hours - Barrier Hwy

BH to Cobar - 456 km, 4.5 hours - Barrier Hwy

Cobar to Dubbo - 298 km, 3 hours National Route 32

Dubbo to Sydney - 396 km, 5 hours.

with plenty of petrol stops along the way.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 11:38
Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: broken hill to sydney

Destination Expert Thanks,

We are looking at driving to Adelaide from Sydney via Hay , spend a few days on the coast in Adelaide, then driving to B H and spend a few days there , before the big push back to Sydney , the wife was worried about getting petrol and that, all the way out there . l have looked at Google maps and used street view , the H/WAY dose not look that wide . We will be driving my BA xr8 out there or do we need a 4x4 of some type ? i know we will be carry water and some petrol but the XR8 its no 4x4 .

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,391 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: broken hill to sydney

Hi,

We have driven Sydney to Adelaide via Hay numerous times & its a fab inland road trip with some interesting outback towns. We never had to worry about petrol just buy yourself a map or a GPS to find the distance to the next town etc.

However; there is one lesson we learnt & seems to operate through all Australian outback towns is to make sure you arrive in town at midday otherwise its difficult to find something to eat after 2pm as most of the cafés shut down for lunch.

The same goes with dinner - make sure you arrive into a town before 6pm as dinner is served very early.

I'm not sure about the car issue - we have always used our own European car (2WD) & never had a problem.

Hopefully; others will give you advice re the car !

Enjoy your trip !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: broken hill to sydney

I've driven from Sydney to Broken Hill a few times now. Its a great drive!

Stopover in Dubbo to break the trip, or Cobar which is a pretty interesting mining town. Avoid stopping in Wilcannia after dark.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: broken hill to sydney

Hi,

If you stop in Wilcannia your XR8 will be turned into a Fraud Fiesta.

You won't have any problems with fuel. Avoid driving at dawn or dusk or at night unless you want a roo as a hood ornament. The locals don't have the bull bars for appearance like the Toorak Taxis.

Cheers,

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: broken hill to sydney

Whats a fraud fiesta? lol

Anyway, the roads out that way are all very good and perfect for your XR8. Long, flat and smooth.

There is fuel between Broken Hill and Wilcannia, and also between Wilcannia and Cobar.

You will not have an issue at all.

Reply to: broken hill to sydney
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted