We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping during Christmas in Broken Hill?

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Camping during Christmas in Broken Hill?

We are thinking of going to Broken Hill for Christmas this year. We plan to drive from Sydney and camp in one of the Holiday parks there. Has anyone done it and if so, is it a good idea?!!!

Always wanted to see Broken Hill and, although we are used to camping, we are a bit concerned about how hot it can get there at this time (we know that January and February are the hottest months). We have a 5 years old daughter who will be travelling with us.

Would appreciate any advice, thank you in advance.

Eve.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping during Christmas in Broken Hill?

Hi,

My mother was born in Broken Hill. Her family always went to the coast (Glenelg) for Christmas and Jan.

Cheers,

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping during Christmas in Broken Hill?

Broken Hill is a fantastic spot to visit. Yes, it does get very hot over xmas time but not so hot that I wouldn't visit. Both of the caravan parks have swimming pools and the Menindee lakes will be beautiful at that time. You can camp on the waterfront there. I would be more inclined to stay in one of the cabins at the caravan park in Broken Hill as they have air conditioning.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping during Christmas in Broken Hill?

As mentioned by B/Bum the Menindee Lakes will be beautiful at this time of the year. However; it will be hot so bring your swimmers & hopefully book an air conditioned cabin !

See link below for additional info

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i17699-Broke…

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping during Christmas in Broken Hill?

We drove through BH early Dec a few years back and I agree that its a interesting place to visit- but would not camp. We had a cabin with aircon which was a good move as the nights were in the high 20's and at day if you wanted to rest in your tent it was too hot.

We had kids around the 5 ages as well and camping in that heat is hard work for them. You could camp and get a powered site, buy a fan - have done that a few times where required.

5. Re: Camping during Christmas in Broken Hill?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2016, 01:17