We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Yunta

Which Broken Hill hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
1 post
Save Topic
moving to Yunta

Hello

I will be taking up a teaching post in Yunta Rural School in Jan 07. I am aware that Broken Hill is the nearest big centre apart from Peterborough.

I was just wondering what amenities are there.

Thanks in anticipation.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to Yunta

Hi lollyno Do you mean what amenities are at BH or at Yunta?

From my memory Yunta is just a blur on the highway with a service station a pub and not much else- but maybe someone can correct me. I think the best thing about it is that you can fairly easily duck across to the magnificent Flinders Ranges where there are some nice resorts and fantastic desert scenery also its an easy 4-5 hour drive to the beautiful Clare and /or Braossa Valley and not much further to Adelaide.

BH is a large town with all the amenities you would expect in a regional centre- hospital, restaurants, pubs, a theatre etc.

Peterborough has a hospital and a pub and a supermarket but not a lot else.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to Yunta

Nozzie is right.

Yunta is a very small town on the highway between Afelaide and Broken Hill. Amenities, not a lot as I rememeber it. Mainly a service station/roadhouse and not a lot else.

Was fampous once as the sight of George F Ding's roadside stop which featured in early Shell petorl ads showing that you cou;d fet their producct anywhere,

Broken Hill is around 200km away.

Port Pirie is closer than Broken Hill and it is only about 90 km to Peterborough which is a larger but not big town.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to Yunta

Oh my god, lollyno1, I am quite concerned you will be moving to Yunta?

One suggestion would be DON'T DO IT!

I grew up in Broken Hill which is around 200km north of Yunta. Yunta is a terrible, horrible, hot dry dirty place.

We used to just stop there to refuel and couldn't wait to get back in the car. Put it this way, I was there 3 months ago, driving from Adelaide, (which by the way is a lovely place to visit).

There were 3 service (petrol) stations to choose from to refuel. 2 of them were closed down, there was only one open.

I think there might be one pub there, where you can maybe get a meal at night. But there are NO, repeat NO restaurants, NO coffee shops, NOTHING. There is probably a local police officer, no hospital, nearest one would be Broken Hill and there is literally nothing else there. NO SHOPS, NO supermarkets.

I really feel for you if you have accepted this position but if you haven't I would strongly advise you to say NO. In summer the weather is extreme, around 40 degrees centigrade is the norm, hot dry and very windy with a red dust everywhere. In winter, freezing.

Please email me directly if you would like further info. Maybe try Broken Hill, which I couldn't live in again but my family still live there and I visit often. But at least it is more of a town than Yunta. Good luck please feel free to contact me anytime. I am quite worried that you have been given wrong information about Yunta as I'm sure if you knew what it was like there is no way you would accept job offer there ( unless of course it meant they were offering you a fortune to work there!). Can't even remember seeing too many houses there, maybe 10? Must be more than that but population would be tiny.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
495 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to Yunta

Yes, there is a place called Yunta and people do live there, however lacking in amenities . So they do need a school and they need teachers. I have great admiration for the people who chose to work in and around our outback townsand rural areas; they keep them alive and there for us who drive through.

I am sure that you know that there is not much there, but I think it is only a temporary post, and the locals will soon introduce you to the limited facilities. There is a rural transaction centre for PO, banking and computer use. There are a couple of roadhouses (petrol stations) where you should be able to get bread and milk, etc.

There is a lot of passing traffic and so there should be adequate service to get anything you need sent from either Adelaide or Broken Hill. You soon learn to adapt to fortnightly/monthly shops and keep in supplies.

Peterborough, whilst it has some shops in which you can get almost all immediate needs, is not exactly a big centre in the way that Broken Hill is. But it is an interesting place to visit.

Enjoy your stay, most people never get to experience life the way you will.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to Yunta

Hello again,

Yes scliffy you are right. Most of us stick to the pretty parts, around the coast and the cities etc and never do get to experience the real outback.

I am a nurse and I know remote isolated towns are crying out for teachers and nurses, I just think it would be different if you or I were being sent there, as we would be sort of prepared, you from York Peninsula and me growing up in Broken Hill, but for some one coming all the way from England can you imagine what a culture shock it would be going to Yunta?

I know I can't wait to get out of there when I drive through it, the flies, the dust, god.

I can think of a dozen other places that desperately need teachers, etc that would pay well and not be quite so isolating. For example I live up near Noosa, at the moment, at the hospital I work in, if we can find a nurse that will be willling to stay for 3 months, whoever recommends and introduces the nurse to the hospital gets a bonus of $250! Amazing. If they stay for 6 months or longer it's $500! That's how desperate we are for nurses but I am getting off the track.

Anyway lollyno! it is up to you. My parents and family still live in Broken Hill. If you do take up the post in Yunta I'm sure my family would be happy to accommodate you for a weekend 'away" etc. They are very friendly people as are most folk in the outback. Good Luck!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to Yunta

Bobalo

You might be surprised to find that there are many people from crowded European and American countries who find the isolation of our outback exciting. Go to andamooka and you ll find dozens of "refugees" from the crowded cities of both Europe and Australia.

And while personally I dont want to live in Yunta I'm sure it has a lot to recommend it - not least some amazing desert scenery not too far way.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to Yunta

Hello Nozzie,

Yes you are quite right. I just want to make sure lollyno1 is fully aware of what is and isn't at Yunta before she arrives.

There is a big difference in being sent to work in the outback and thinking you're maybe going somewhere like Broken Hill or Andamooka, or port pirie etc, which at least has medical assistance, a supermarket, the absolute basics.

I'm just worried that lollyno1 has been misled by whichever company is sending her here or employing her. Otherewise why would she be asking what amenities there are there? Have you ever been there?

Amenities! What amenities! I have travelled through there for the past 20 years maybe 6 times a year. It has not changed in 20 years there are literally no amenities other than a couple of service stations, one post box, (not a post office a post box), there is a "community centre" which consists of a desk manned by a volunteer with a computer which the public are welcome to use to access the internet.

There is also a pub. That is it. No deli, no corner shop, certainly not a chemist. I am just very concerned that she doesn't know what she's in for.

Hey, great if she knows what it's like, and what amenities it doesn't have, and is happy with that, and is willing to work in a remote location, good on her, as long as she knows before she arrives what to expect that's all. I'll never forget, not the last time I drove through but the time before that. I used the rest room in the service station ( or at least I wanted to use it). It was so filthy, with blowflies everywhere I went back inside and asked if there was another one I could use somewhere else.

The woman behind the counter just looked me up and down and smirked. I felt like I was in another country. It really is feral.

8. Re: moving to Yunta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 07:19