We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice

TO
3 posts
Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

Hi,

I'm moving to Newcastle, Australia in the next 2-3 weeks. I will be working at John Hunter Hospital and was hoping to get some advice about the area. I would appreciate any info on where to live (rent or share an apt), places to go and where to meet people. I'm traveling on my own and am not that familiar with the area. I'm a 26 year single woman and would love some insight into the city of Newcastle. A nice area to live that wouldn't be too far to travel to and from work is on my priority list so if anyone has any advice please do let me know!!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
1 review
1. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

I will assume you have a vehicle and provide advice accordinhly.

JHH is located in New Lambton Heights. Some the the surrounding suburbs which I would consider living in are New Lambton, Kotara, Garden Suburb, Charlestown, Waratah amongst others. You can get an idea of rental houses and/or share accommodation available at http://www.theherald.com.au

Some general info on Newcastle and Lake Macquarie areas, including places to go out, can be found here:

http://www.visitlakemac.com.au/

http://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/pages.asp?code=501

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
94 reviews
53 helpful votes
2. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

New Lambton's a top spot to live. Very close to the JHH and close to the city and beaches as well. Hamilton, The Junction and Merewether are great as well - closer to city and beaches but still not far from work. Nowhere in Newcastle itself will be too far from the JHH.

You shouldn't have trouble meeting people working at the JHH - an awful lot of people work there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
33,205 posts
2,584 reviews
34,798 helpful votes
3. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

Newcastle has some beautiful beaches - so living close to one would be my ideal pick....drive to work - walk to the beach.

EM.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
21 reviews
33 helpful votes
4. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

Yes, near the beaches would be my pick, but if you have no car, Charlestown might be a better selection. (East side if possible).

Charelstown is more central now than the City of Newcastle.

There is alot of shops and services there, and if working at JHH, you will find direct buses to there.

Charlestown is a major bus junction.

It is also quite close to Redhead and Dudley beaches, and the Fernleigh Track, a wonderful bike/walking track that goes from Redhead to Newcastle (soon to go right thru to Belmont). The apartments would be cheaper here than any of the City beach apartments like Newcastle or Merewether.

Good Luck!!

Newcastle
1 post
5. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

Hi there,

I'm also a 26yo female, working at JHH - welcome. The areas cited above are very close to JHH (New Lambton, Rankin Park) however they are very family-oriented suburbs. Great locations to be close to the hospital, but you'll tend to find more family homes than apartments/units for rent. also not much in the way of entertainment.

A lot of younger singles/couples opt to live in the city (Newcastle, Newcastle East, Cooks Hill, Honeysuckle) as they are near all the restaurants, cafes, bars, beaches, gyms etc.

I've just moved back from the city to the suburbs to save money - Depends what you're looking for in the town, your family situation, and your neighbourhood. The city area is a 20minute drive from the hospital (20-30min in traffic, 15min on a weekend)

Hope this helps, cheers.

TO
3 posts
6. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

Thank you everyone for all the great advice! I'll be arriving in Newcastle at the end of next week so I think it might be best for me to live closer to the hospital at least until I find my feet and manage to get a car!

I appreciate all your comments and if there are any other tidbits of information you can pass along to make my transition a little smoother it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again!

TO
3 posts
7. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

Just to clarify...is there any public transport for the city areas like Newcastle, Cooks Hill or Honeysuckle to New Lambton?

Newcastle NSW
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

Hi you lucky devil!!

Part of being a Novocastrian is to give a solemn undertaking not to divulge any of the beauties & easy life style of our city to outsiders!!

I would recommend the following suburbs :

Generally - Work on suburbs in an easterly arc from JHH

CLOSE to JHH - Lambton, New Lambton Adamstown (good bus links)

Close to beaches & about 5-6km from JHH - Merewether, The Junction Cooks Hill, parts of Hamilton

Yuppy suburbs - Linwood (not good transport connections), Honeysuckle

Suburbs to avoid - Mayfield, Waratah, Islington,

You should be aware that JHH has a HUGE parking problem so if you are able to be on a good bus link that will save you heaps. Try & get a link that requires only 1 bus. Changing buses is not always easy

the following web site may be useful to you. Robert Crawford organises heaps of rentals for JHH staff. He is very reputable.

http://www.robertcrawfordrealestate.com.au

Also the web - site below may be a good spot to start with some temp. accommodation. I am sure you may be able to negotiate a weekly rate. Christine will also help you find your feet in town. she is a gem

www.hamiltoneastgueststay.com.au.

Good luck with your adventure

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
1 review
9. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice
Save

And for bus routes and schedules you can go to http://www.newcastlebuses.info

Lots of buses from town to JHH

10. Re: Moving to Newcastle and looking for some advice

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.