We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Newcastle

Which Newcastle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
8 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Newcastle

My daughter is planning a trip to Australia later this year and because of the proximity to Sydney and it's beaches, is considering an extended stay in Newcastle. My concern is that I've read that the crime rate there is higher than other cities in Australia. Is this true? Old news? Are there areas one should avoid, as it is here in Chicago where we live. Basically, is it safe for a young single woman traveling alone there?

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Newcastle

Newcastle is probably no worse, or better than any other city in Aust for crime. It is a multi cultural city with universities, heavy industry and a large area of cheap/moderate priced pubs and eating places. My readings about Chicago, with machine gun toting gangsters everywhere - she should be used to avoiding bad places! LOL! Just tell her to use common sense and she should be fine.

Greg

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,044 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Newcastle

Old news!

Like any city in the world, a single young female on her own needs to take sensible precautions especially if she is alone at night. Beyond that Newcastle isn't any more dangerous than any other city in the world. In fact, it's a smaller place so probably safer than Sydney.

It has reinvented itself since the closure of BHP and now has a thriving arts,cafe and music scene and lot of tertiary students. She will love it!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Newcastle

As above, usual precautions.

The places she will be visiting would be on the Harbour/Beaches so alot of people around walking,surfing, having coffee etc.

I always feel safe, it had a great vibe now, and she will love it, but avoid dark alleys at night! LOL!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Newcastle

I wouldn't stay in Newcastle to access Sydney and the beaches. It's a good couple of hours driving or by train from Newcastle to Sydney.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,941 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Newcastle

Newcastle is 160km from Sydney, or 100 miles in your money :-) As margo says, it will take at least two hours to get to Sydney from Newcastle. That's like staying in Milwaukee to visit Chicago :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,750 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Newcastle

Newcastle is too far if she wants to travel to Sydney each day. Not sure from your post whether she will or not. Or maybe she will be going to Newcastle after Sydney.

The Central Coast is closer than Newcastle and has fast express trains that take around an hour to get to Central.

Major stations along the Central Coast line are Woy Woy, Gosford, Wyong and Tuggerah.

I recommend Gosford. She could then take a bus to Terrigal (for example) for an extended stay rather than Newcastle.

http://www.cityrail.info/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,947 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Newcastle

It's nothing like Chicago..been there down that..but if staying for Sydney..um no...too far to commute as already mentioned..

Pubs can be rough at times, as they can In any area where drinking is common, gun crimes, well unlike the US it isn't legal to carry guns here,

why has she chosen newcastle for a longer stay?

Chicago
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Newcastle

Thank you for all your great info. She will definitely visit but she would not be commuting to Sydney. I meant the beaches near Newcastle. I've heard they are just as nice and not as crowded. Also, for a longer stay, she was assuming Sydney would be more expensive.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Newcastle

Yes our beaches are AWESOME, and very uncrowded, esp during the week.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
597 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Newcastle

Safe as anywhere and a great place to stay. Great beach culture - better than Sydney and it still has a great live music and arts scene.