We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
100 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

Hi All,

Apologies for a bit of daft question. I keep an eye on the weather in Newcastle due to a visit next year. Pretty much 80% on the time the weather is reported as cloud - is this usual?

Best wishes,

Stu.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

no.......your sampling is too small.

Edited: 11 December 2012, 20:18
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

I go to Newcastle often to visit friends and it's always sunny.

That has not statistical relevance, by the way - just an observation of mine ;-)

How many days did you check?

These shows Newcastle's average rainfall.

www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp…

www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/cdio/weatherData/av…

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

Sitting on my deck enjoying a glorious day. Newcastle weather is same as Sydney if slightly warmer. Last two summers in Oz have been above average rainfall. This spring was back to dry warm. Last two weeks have been mix of rain and sun. Rain is always welcome. Last year's wine crop from the Hunter was one of the best on record because of good rainfall.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

"Last year's wine crop from the Hunter was one of the best on record because of good rainfall"

i dont think that is the case.

one vintage reports says 'Regular rain throughout February and early March, however, hindered the red harvest, according to Hunter Valley Wine Industry Association secretary Ken Bray.

The rain contributed to the loss of fruit condition. Much of the red fruit in the valley was not harvested"

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
100 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

Thanks everyone. What would you all say are the highlights of living in Newcastle?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

The weather?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

the hunter valley is close

sydney is only a few hours down the freeway.

and good beaches in the vicinity..

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

The beaches are fantastic, and very central, the harbour is lovely, the precinct around there is pretty good too with the new museum. The main mall is in need of love but there are 2 giant shopping centres in the suburbs with everything if you are into that. Darby St and Hamilton have great food strips. The Art Gallery is worth a visit and they get good shows and entertainment. There is a local soccer team and a league team so high level sports are an option most weekends. There are plenty of good parks, bike tracks, places to walk and relax/picnic. It has it all without the choking traffic of Sydney and even from the outer suburbs you can hit a brilliant beach in <30 minutes.

And the weather is usually good. I have spent a lot of time in Newie and it is always bright blue and sunny in my minds eye. Like Sydney it will have hot days with storms and rain in late summer, Spring will be the driest season.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

A pommy telling us that newcastle is 80 % cloud, heheheehe thats a hoot !

Mate what time of the year are you coming, gotta get you aound for a barbie?

Edited: 14 December 2012, 03:38
Leicestershire
Level Contributor
100 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newcastle - is the weather 80% cloud?!

We're actually arriving Nov 2013 for a bit more than a holiday ... about 18 months initially. Great to hear all your comments, thank you.