We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle to Sydney

Wonthaggi, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Newcastle to Sydney

My husband and I will be disembarking a cruise at Newcastle at approx. 9.00am and need to get to Sydney by 4.00pm on the same day to embark on another cruise. Is the train the best way of getting there and how far is the station from the cruise terminal?

Thank you.

14 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

Train should be fine to cover that distance in that time. Disembarking, you should be able to get the shuttle bus to the station from the port.

If your cruise in Sydney leaves from the overseas passenger terminal in the Rocks, you can change a Central for a train to Circular Quay (just buy one ticket from Newcastle). If your cruise leaves from White Bay, you'll need to get a taxi from Central.

Can't think of any practical options other than a train or hiring a car. Somebody else may have one..

Wonthaggi, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

Thanks so much for the info. Our cruise leaves from the Rocks. We were not sure if we could take our luggage on the train from Newcastle - 2 large cases plus carry-ons.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

if u can manage to get the bags on board there is room for them on the inter city trains.

Wonthaggi, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

Thanks for that info

Newcastle
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

Get a train from Newcastle Station to Circular Quay in Sydney.

Its a relaxing if somewhat slow trip but you will get there in plenty of time and the scenery is great.

Just be aware that the cruise terminal at Newcastle is on the opposite side of the harbour to the City and the train station. It is in a suburb called Carrington.

Just check that they have free shuttle buses to Newcastle station. It is too far to walk.

They should do.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

Hi,

If you want the views from the train it is best to sit on the eastern side otherwise along the Brisbane Water and Hawkesbury River all you will see will be rock faces or houses ;-)

Cheers,

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

9am you say? There aren't any cruise ship arrivals at 9am into Newcastle, but there are three 8am arrivals ... Radiance of the Seas, 8am 14/10/13, Celebrity Millenium 8am 21/11/13, and Radiance of the Seas, 8am 27/11/13. There is also a 7am arrival, Rhapsody of the Seas, 7am 20/11/13. This is info from the Newcastle Ports Corporation website.

I don't think there is a regular shuttle bus service from the cruise ship terminal to the city and beyond, since many people who disembark in Newcastle are locals (not all, just most). Most of the info I can find from local shuttle bus services provides information on getting TO the cruise terminal, rather than getting FROM it. You might want to contact the cruise line to find out if they will have anything organised. Failing that, here are a few companies offering shuttle or limo services from the cruise ship terminal:

www.newcastlelimo.com.au/instant-quote.html

http://www.foggsshuttle.com.au/

www.taxico.com.au/index.php/airport-transfer

http://www.happycabby.com/

Most of the above mentioned companies can actually take you from the Newcastle cruise ship terminal to the Sydney cruise ship terminal without the need for a train. Unlike what lien says, luggage on the trains from Newcastle to Sydney can be a problem, especially if the trains are busy. There are no dedicated luggage areas, you either need to put bags on the seat next to you or in the vestibules at the end of each carriage. Also, the trains are double decker jobs, with a small area at each end of the carriage which is a single deck. If these single deck areas are full, you have to then manhandle suitcases up/down stairs, which isn't fun. When I'm travelling anywhere I avoid the train at all costs if I have luggage - it's too much like hard work.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

Most of the cruise ship companies offer shuttles from the dock into the CBD.

In regards to crowding on the train.

As the train will start from Newcastle, i can almost guarantee there will be next to nobody on it and at 8am or 9am the workers have already traveled.

Newcastle, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

trying to find an accessible bus service to take us from windale to overseas passenger cruise terminal in the Rocks...

East Maitland...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newcastle to Sydney

thanks hottoddy666

Reply to: Newcastle to Sydney
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted