We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Coast

KL
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gold Coast

We are 2 adults, 1 senior citizen (still very strong), 2 teenagers (16 yr old boy and 18 yr old girl) flying from KL to Gold Coast in mid Aug 2012. Frankly, we are not sure where to go and what to do as am confused on the location. We are travelling as backpacker and would like to find cheaper accomodation (for sleeping only)

1. Arrived in Coolangatta airport is it possible to take public transport?

2. Any recommended B & B or apartment and where is the best place to stay.

3. Kids would definately like to go to the er...movie world, sea world and as such would like to stay nearby.

4. Is Coolangatta the place to stay or should it be somewhere else

Thanks

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
11 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Coast

1 what time of the day will you arrive at the airport? If it is not too late I am sure there is public transportation. Use this website for all public transportation services in gold coast and nearby city of Brisbane: translink.com.au

2&3 I've not stayed in any backpacker/b&b

4 cooloongata is an airport and residential area. There is no popular point of interest. Head to main beach or surfers paradise for accommodation.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Coast

(1) Yes, there is public transport available. The bus to catch is #702 and I have done this a few times now with no problems. Please be aware that it's not going to drop you off at the doorstep of your hotel, but, depending where you're staying, the bus stop might only be a short distance away from your hotel.

(2) What is your actual budget range, just because that will make it easier to give some recommendations. You might like to look at sites like www.wotif.com (popular Australian hotel booking site) or www.hotels.com/ or www.hotelclub.com.au and so forth (including prices on the accommodation's own website prices), so you can get a list of places to check out, look up reviews, etc.

We have stayed in Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. Surfers Paradise is a good option, particularly if you're interested in nightlife, but, we like Broadbeach because it's more family friendly.

(3) There's no need to stay very close to the theme parks, as the public buses will take you there quite easily. We have caught the buses from Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach with no problems as well - Of course, bus might take a little longer than if you were driving, but so many tourists catch the public bus each day.

Depending where you stay, for Movieworld (and Wet 'n' Wild, Paradise Country Aussie Farm Tour, and Outback Spectacular - all in the same area), take bus #TX1 or #TX2. These two buses will also be the ones to take if you want to go to Dreamworld and White Water World (which is further away). If you want to go to Seaworld though, it's bus #750.

This Journey Planner on Translink site (link chengho1400 posted above): …translink.com.au/travel-information/journey… will be quite helpful. Just insert details of your accommodation and your destination, and it'll tell you which bus route to take, where to board the bus, etc.

PASSES: Be aware that it is often a much better idea to purchase theme park passes, particularly, if you'll be going to more than one theme park during your stay (or if you'll be returning to the same theme park again ... and again!), as it will be cheaper than purchasing individual tickets. However, what is of better value will depend on what your itinerary will look like.

For Movieworld, Seaworld and Wet 'n' Wild: Take a look at the my http://myfun.com.au/ website as you will find passes there. At the moment, for example (things might be different later on, but, if I just use the current offer), there is the Super Pass available which allows unlimited entry into any of these THREE theme parks for 28 consecutive days OR there is the Escape Pass which allows unlimited entry for 14 days into any TWO of these theme parks.

For Dreamworld and White Water World (I recommend Dreamworld, if your group enjoys lots of thrill rides, but you can also see Australian animals there, etc.), they are owned by a different company, so, you will need to look at Dreamworld's website instead for ticket/passes prices: dreamworld.com.au/Visitor-Information/Unlimi… for more details.

(4) While I think Coolangatta is quite a good option, I would prefer Broadbeach, but, that's just me. Let us know your budget range, and hopefully, we'll be able to help out further!

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time on the Gold Coast! :)

Edited: 04 January 2012, 22:11
Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold Coast

With public transport, there are some passes available too like the Freedom and Gold Passes, which may include airport transfers + theme park transfers. I personally do not find them to be good value, as public transport is cheaper (and you'd need to do a lot of bus rides to ensure it becomes good value, BUT, this really depends on your itinerary, as we never did more than one or two "big" sites each day, hence, didn't need to travel all that much each day), however, you might want to look them up here: http://www.gcshuttle.com.au/

What you can do instead, if you're not looking to purchases the passes, is either pay bus fares when boarding the bus OR purchase a Go Card: translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/go-card (tag on/tag off each time you board/leave the bus) which I find is easier than digging around for money. You can purchase the Go Card at the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle service counter in the Airport or from some 7-Eleven stores. I believe you can get a refund on any unused credit (I never topped it up with too much though - I think did around $40 initially for a six night stay, which nearly covered us except for the final bus ride back to the Airport where we didn't have enough on our cards. How much you should put onto your card will depend on where you're staying, how long you'll be on the Gold Coast for, and what you plan to see/do).

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING trip! :)

Edited: 04 January 2012, 22:18
melbourne
Level Contributor
6,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold Coast

4 cooloongata is an airport and residential area. There is no popular point of interest. Head to main beach or surfers paradise for accommodation.

Dont agree....

you can get great accomm and travel to theme parks.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold Coast

Well Surfers Paradise is the main hub of the Gold Coast and this is where the majority of toursits stay, lots of hotels etc. Located to the north of the GC and closest to the theme parks you mention.Several backpacker options here and at nearby Southport.

The next major centre is not too far away at Broadbeach which is more relaxed and dare i say a bit less touristy than Surfers.

The next major centre is Coolangatta which is not too far from the airport at the southern end of the GC. It is another area that has its own unique charm and is popular with families, still with plenty of hotels and accomodation with public transport available to Surfers and the northern parts of the GC.

Have fun!.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold Coast

There is also transport to Brisbane from the Gold Coast Airport. You can catch the local bus 761 to Varsity Lakes and then get the Brisbane train to Brisbane. This takes about 2-2.5 hours and costs $21.50, http://www.translink.com.au Otherwise there is also link transfers http://linktransfers.com.au which does a direct shuttle to Brisbane.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold Coast

Andrew the OP has been and gone for 4 months now

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gold Coast

Hi. I will be travelling to Gold Coast in early September. Im now looking for a place to stay. Im a bit fussy since we will be travelling with 2 kids for the first time (imagine the chaos) . I prefer apartment than hotel. I foresee, we will spend most of the time outside during the day. Hence, i want a place that can offer a quiet night sleep. Can you recommend a place with below criteria?

1. Family friendly, not surrounded by clubs, night spots etc

2. Convenient/grocery/supermarket nearby

3. Eateries nearby

And above all, of course safe for night walk. Btw, how's the weather during the first week Sep? Do we need airconditioning at night? Thanks in advance.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 10:26
Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gold Coast

I would suggest that you look at accomodation around Broadbeach. It is a great area for families with a lovely beach and shopping close by.

Early September will still be cool so I would not think a/c is important but I think you will find most apartments will have it.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gold Coast

I agree with Broadbeach area or perhaps Burleigh Heads. Have a look at mantra appartments.