We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Topic
Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

Here I am, a dedicated addict of TA - asking, reading and posting questions and opinions on several forums that relate to our wants, needs and experiences regarding our travels. Lo and behold I have just visited, for the first time, my own 'home town' forum and have found it to be very interesting reading regarding questions and opinions regarding the GC. By no means do I have any intention of being an expert but having lived on the Gold Coast for over 25 years, I feel I can contribute to any visitors heading our way therefore if I can be of any assistance to any forum member/s (as others have been to me) please don't hesitate to ask.

One thing I will 100% 'back up' is the Sheraton Mirage in relation to 'if not the best' seafood smorgasboard buffet on the Gold Coast. Obviously a few of the guys know their stuff, we too have been regulars ourselves for many years. I am very familiar with the Northern end of the GC (yes, including Ashmore Steak & Seafood, Carrara and anything to do with theme parks not to mention 'the usual holiday stuff' and without being biased, I am happy to assist - yes, I am a parent too!)

I must say, as the fabulous GC is one of the tourist meccas of the world, I am surprised this forum is not as 'inundated' as I would've suspected. Maybe the 'MC' (yes, Mail Centre - goodness knows why) deters a few visitors.

Looking forward to being of assistance in anyway I can.

Cheers

Tiff xxxx

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

Hi Tiff,

My hubby and I are going to the Gold Coast end of April, is it worthwhile hiring a car?

I am not a big fan of shuttle buses so thought hiring a car gives more freedom of getting around.

cheers

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

Hi Megabux

Even though Easter holidays are mid April, it will still be relatively busy on the GC towards the end of the month - it's getting to the stage of where you cannot differentiate the 'busy' times of year.

The GC roads are now known to be very busy, regardless of holiday seasons. I am not a fan of shuttle buses anywhere in the world, you just seem to spend so much valuable time sitting on this bus taking forever to arrive at your destination - if I have to spend a few extra bucks on a cab - so be it.

Having said that, hiring a car is definitely the best option on the GC. You have the freedom to come and go as you choose let alone when and where you want to go. Try and pick up a deal, whether it be through any points/credit card reward system, it will save you a few $$$. As mentioned, the roads are becoming busy but still quite tame compared to the big cities. Just watch the parking cops - they love any opportunity for a bonus - and that's where it's becoming difficult.

Please feel free to drop me a PM if I can be of anymore assistance.

Cheers

Tiff xxxx

Melbourne
Level Contributor
93 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

We are planning on coming up to GC in Sept school holidays.Have 3 kids 13, 10 and 2 also another family with 3 kids 13, 11 and 10. Travel agent recommended Breakfree Diamond Beach is this a good place? We also will have to do dream world and the new water park. Should we hire cars?

Thanks Julie

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

Could you recommend a good quality set of apartments (UK 3-4 star) which are situated in a good location but not near the nightclubs as we have small children.(6-9 yrs old).

The apartments would require sea view, secure parking and a quality swimming pool also within easy access to the beach on local shops.

We arrive in Brisbane a couple of days before the Indy 300 its so we plan to drive up to the Sunshine coast for a week and then spend time in the Gold Coast after the racing finishes.

thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

We discovered that the shuttle buses were not that cheap and if you have more than 2 people it could work out cheaper to hire a car. Plus you have the flexibility to go where and when you please. So a car is worth it. Avis seemed to be the cheapest of the "big names"

We are staying at the Cheveron Renance which is 1 block in from the beach and far enough from the night clubs.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

Hi TheMorgans, check out the Breakers

http://www.thebreakers.com.au/

7. Re: Just My Two Bobs Worth.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Gold Coast