We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

Melbourne
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

Hi

Thanks to all the helpful info on this forum, I've been able to narrow my choice of accommodation down to Oceana and Xanadu. I'm leaning towards Oceana.

What I'm really interested in is the view. I'd like to see the ocean during the day and sit on the balcony with a glass of red and watch all the twinkling lights of the gold coast at night.

Can anyone help me decide which of these two places would be best for the view? I plan to go in May.

many thanks

Julie

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

I would probably select Oceana, have you also looked at The Breakers?

main beach...
Level Contributor
376 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

Xanadu has two towers and to see the lights of the coast the tower that has the reception would be the one with the view. I would prefer to be up at least ten floors to ensure this view. We stayed on the 30 th floor of Aquarius years ago and the view was just what you want. Breakers and a number of others on Old Burleigh Rd Surfers (not Broadbeach) would be your best bet.

Melbourne
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

Well, no I haven't looked at the Breakers. When I searched this site just now, I could only find two reviews for "Breakers North". Is this the place?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

http://www.thebreakers.com.au/

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

Definately go with Oceana or AIR on Broadbeach. Both are quality buildings in beautiful Broadbeach. Outline your specifications on booking however. In May you should have no problems.

Aquarius, The Penthouses & Breakers (& north) are also good choices, but bit more up towards Surfers & sort of in between both suburbs. The Breakers is one of the original "highrises" on the beach and unless you are staying in one of the cabanas I would give it a miss without the guarantee of a renovated room. (imho)

Enjoy : )

Melbourne
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

Thankyou surfoz

I saw that website this arvo and I called them to check on availability. I'm just waiting for a call back - they were busy. Prolly be tomorrow.

The building has a total of 11 floors so I'm not sure if it will be high enough. I'm sure the penthouse is on the 11th floor so I'd be looking at 10th floor or lower.

We'll see what they've got to say tomorrow.

thanks again

Julie

Melbourne
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

Thankyou firebucket

I appreciate your input. The Oceana is still looking good I think.

I will check out the others you mentioned.

Meanwhile I also found The Wave which looks good and also a privately owned apartment in Crown Towers on 35th floor which has some wonderful views.

You can see it here:

http://www.goldcoast.stays.com.au/21339

Any input on those two would be very welcome.

I'd also like to thank everyone who put their comments onto the Gold Coast restaurant thread - I found that extremely helpful and I will be trying one of those every night I'm up there.

thanks again

Julie

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

I also agree with firebucket's choices... While AIR is good, it isn't beachfront...... meaning you have a busy road and a park between you and the beach. The others have sweeping views of the ocean and the beach.

Melbourne
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

I just want to say thanks also to Oscar's Dad for his input.

I just spoke to the Aquarius and they won't guarantee the type of apartment I'd like. They would accept my booking and money and expect me to fly up from Melbourne and just take my chances.

I won't be doing that so the Aquarius is out - I suspect this will be the case with some of the others too but I will keep trying.

thanks again

Julie

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help to choose between Oceana and Xanadu

Crown Towers Resort and The Wave are both excellent high-rise choices. The wave is a brand new building, 5 min walk from the beach, but in central Broadbeach. Crown Towers is a 5 min walk north of Surfers and the beach. Great pools.

Bear in mind, that the Oceana is not a really REALLY tall building either. About 15 storeys?