We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theme Parks advice needed

London
10 posts
Save Topic
Theme Parks advice needed

We are travelling to Gold Coast on 9/8/07 for 5 nights 2 aults and 2 children 14 and 11. The younger one is not too keen on the fast & furious rides. Owing to other commitments to see friends we have only time for 2 theme parks. We will have a rental car. Also we will have been in Port Douglas for 5 days so maybe not wet n wild?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

Wet and Wild is nothing like anything you would find in Port Douglas. but that said, it could still be a tad cold to really enjoy Wet and Wild.

also you have the opportunity to get wet in the other theme parks too, as they all have some rides which are wet. and Sea World also has water slides.

So which two parks.?

I would go for dreamworld, and Movie World

they are geographically both close, so you might get sick of travelling up to them or you might see enough of say movie world and enjoy an extra time in Dreamworld as you get an extra days pass for very little additional.

Dreamworld has the white tigers, a couple of really big coasters, a mine ride which is fun but not too scary and the Log ride, which is wet and lots of fun. have to try it, even if you think it is scary cause it really isnt. Also the IMax theatre, and the boat ride around the river.

Movie world is more sedate, but there is a few very large coasters for the thrill seekers, such as Superman and another one which spirals.

you would all enjoy the wild wild west ride, and if you are a tad scared dont do the Scuby Doo. it is very dark and very scary at parts. but the street entertainers are fun, and the parade is very short, so you could do or leave it. the theme shops are fun and there is bound to be something happening around the Harry Potter shop. I liked this park.

Sea world is also good if you havent seen dolphins perform or like the funny seal show, but the rides though good are pretty much duplicated in the other parks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

I have been to all of the theme parks with my 15 and 11 year old girls. They prefer Dream world and Sea world. Mind you while they prefer the 'fast and furious' rides they also love staying connected to there inner child and went on the merry go round and tweety bird rides. I guess it depends on how you present the day. Dream world has both full grown tigers complete with a small show and the added bonus of the tiger cubs, I think they also still have Koalas and kangaroos down the back. Movie world has lots of shows you can watch. An area with more sedate rides and the larger roller coaster type rides.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

I think the 2 posts above have prettymuch covered it and all 3 parks offer something different.

If I had to choose only 2 parks, then I guess I would go for Dreamworld and Seaworld. {In that order}

If you are after the "Aussie Experience" you should also strongly consider going to the "Outback Spectacular" which is a dinner/show out near Movieworld.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9884-Gold_Coas…

London
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I think it will be Dreamworld and Seaworld.

Firebucket,

Is the Outback Spectacular something along the lines of the Buffalo Bill show in Disneyland?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

Wet n wild is great but rule it out because of the weather.

The kids will love Seaworld, it's ideal for an 11 and 14 year old.

Personally I would do Movie world over Dream world.

Its got a lot more sit down Entertainment, you can watch these shows while the more adventurous kid goes on the rides.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

Hi,

Not too sure what the Buffalo Bill show is all about. But the Outback Spectacular is a dinner and Australian Show all done inside a huge arena. Think "Man from Snowy River" style show.

There is a website of the same name for further info.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g658988-d640…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9884-Gold_Coas…

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

I agree with firebucket re Outback Spectacular. It's a great night out. I was a little dubious about it before I went but it turned out to be one of the highlights of my recent trip to GC. (The absolute highlight was patting the tiger cubs at Dreamworld but that's another story.)

FB has already given you the website for outback spectacular. Let me just say that I thought the food was great. There is no kids option but it is your basic rib eye fillet and veg so not too exotic but very tasty. The show itself was also terrific with some great horse riding skills on display.

Hope you have a great time,

WM.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

ARRIVING BY CAR:

From Surfers Paradise, drive along the Gold Coast Highway to Smith Street and follow the signs to Brisbane and the Pacific Motorway. Take Exit 60 to Warner Bros. Movie World and Wet'n'Wild Water World.

From Brisbane, follow the signs to the Pacific Motorway and the Gold Coast. Take Exit 60 to Warner Bros. Movie World and Wet'n'Wild Water World.

Free car parking is available at the front of the attraction.

OTHER TRANSPORT OPTIONS:

Coach transfers with Con-x-ion are available from most major Gold Coast accommodation properties at a cost of $15.00 per person return. To book your transfer telephone Customer Connect on 13 33 86.

Trans Info can also provide you with details on train services from the Gold Coast or Brisbane to Helensvale Station, a short Con-x-ion transfer or taxi ride from Australian Outback Spectacular. For more information call 131 230.

London
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

Thanks again everyone for all your help. The kids arealready chomping at the bit!!

south otago
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Theme Parks advice needed

we have just come back from gold coast and loved wetnwild!! maybe not so much fun if its cold but well worth the day out. if your kids like water then they will love that park/