We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MrH
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

Hi,

We are spending 3 days on the Sunshine coast and 4 days on the Gold Coast in April this year.

We are currently looking at accomodation and activites we can do with our 2 1/2 year old.

We have seen the theme park options and wanted to get people's thoughts on what to see...our son is an adventerous 2 yr old who loves swimming (so we thought Wet and wild) he also loves shows (at 18mths we took him to Hong Kong Disney and he loved the lion king show), he also like shrek (so possibly movie world). There will be 4 adults so we wanted something to engage us all... any help thoughts would be greatley appreciated.

For accomodation we thoght about spendido which seemed reasonable and slightly away from surfers...any htoughts would be welcomed.

Many Thanks

MrH

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

Hi,

I think you are on the right track with attractions for your 2 yo. I would add the Outback Spectacular which is an Australiana Dinner Show definately worth a look. Also Seaworld.

Check out the below link for some more ideas.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9884-Gold_Coas…

I cant comment on Spendido for accomodation - as I have never heard of it. Can you give me the full name of it/address?

MrH
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

Hi firebucket - the web address is

http://www.splendidoresort.com.au/

What did you think of the outback show ? It sounds a little cheesy but comes top of the trip advisor attractions... so we are quite tempted.

Many Thnaks

Mr H

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

I really liked it. Especialy if your from os, you will get a bit from it. I have done a review on it somewhere if you click on my username.

I say do it. ; )

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

Oh, spLendido not spendido. That I know of.

Pros: Good position, close to the beach and nice and modern. Quite newly built.

Cons: Road Noise - as front of building fronts the Gold Coast Highway. Not too much to do close by. You will use a lot of public transport.

If you do end up staying here ask for a room at the back. Make sure they have a heated pool at that time of year also.

What is the room rate for a 4 night stay if you dont mind me asking..

MrH
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

Hi firebucket,

sorry my brain and typing go at two different speeds !!

Have read you review of the show and sounds like fun, we are currently living in Oz and we have visiors from the UK so I think we would all enjoy it.

I think the cost for 4 nights is about $650, haven't booked yet so if there is somewhere else you would recommend we would more than welcome your opinon :-) we licked the fact that it was modern and that it was slightly away from the hustle an bustle of surfers. We will be getting a rental car so travelling no too much of a problem.

Many Thanks

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

I trust you are not coming when the Easter School Holidays are on?

I think you should also get a price for

talismanapartments.com.au

Breakfree Mediterranean (North Burleigh)

They may compare favorably.

brisbane
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

Dear Mr H,

One problem with the Outback Spectacular show is if your 2.5 year old is fidgety it may be a little long and boring. Personally I did think it was cheesy and the meal just o.k but for overseas visitors it might seem more interesting. Keep in mind at Wet and Wild that your son wont be old enough to go on a lot of the slides and the queues are incredibly long on the weekends/holidas - up to 4 minutes in a line for 1 slide - I almost passed out! I would sggest Sea World as for the one entry price they have the shows, animals a great childrens area with rides suitable for the under 5's and a pool area at the back where you can go swimming as well.Easter is the end of March this year but you do have April School holidays running right through April starting on the 4th so the Gold Coast is going to be very very busy.

Rgds,

Jodi

MrH
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

Hi dragonfly - thanks for the tip, if sea world has a play pool it is probably the better option and I am sure he would love the shows.

What are your thoughts on movieworld v's dreamworld (or put another way wiggles v warner bros) we are leaning toward movie world (it seems more atmospheric as a park) ... we are also watching him anxiousley he is currently 92 cm and we know the rides required 95 (and some 105) ... we may just need to get him to wear platforms for the day ;-)

Many Thanks

a60
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

For the Sunshine Coast go to Australia Zoo. At Mooloolaba you can go to Underwater World - after going there you can walk along the water and have lunch there, or walk over to the Mooloolaba Esplanade - heaps of places to eat.

Swimming - Bulcock Beach Caloundra is in the calm water of Bribie Passage or try Lake Currummundi. Kings beach or Mooloolaba would be best for your 2yr old if you wanted to surf - these are both well protected from the winds so the surf isn't too bad.

Dreamworld on the Gold Coast would also be great - something for your child and rides for the adults as well.

Have a great holiday.

brisbane
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gold Coast Attractions with a 2 year old

I personally like Dreamworld but the ankle-biter's favourite is Movieworld. Dreamworld has Nick (Nickleodeon) Central which he will probably have more fun at in 2-3 years time. Movieworld has the Looney Tunes area with smaller rides that he will have no problems going on. There is a scaled down roller coaster, dodgem cars, Looney Tunes River ride etc which he will love. Again plenty of shows ( Police Academy show is actioned packed and he will love it) plus the parades etc. The best advice I can give is to get to Movieworld pre 10am, grab the park guide and plan your day around the shows otherwise you may miss something. I think the parks are really a personal choice but Movieworld may just be out in front on the popularity stakes amongst our friends.