We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

Those theme parks are a rip-off. Why do they have to be so expensive and is there any way to get a cheap ticket on say the Qld residency when we are Melburnians?

After looking at the prices, my wife and I decided we won't be going but we'd let our 16 year old and 14 year old go by themselves. We'd drop them out the front. Then we find out that there is no thing as a 'student price' and that it will cost them an arm and a leg to get in.

Altrnatively, we are thinking we'd be better off paying say $230 and getting a room (with 2 db) at the Mariott Sufers with the saltwater lagoon, fish, snorkelling etc. and all its other facilities. They had fun in Hawaii snorkelling among the tropical fish there so why not do it again.

Anyone help with some comments?

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

Its a bit hard to comment on the pricing structure of Theme Parks awvenning, so I am guessing your question is somewhat retorical.

Theme Parks have huge overheads and staff costs.

Its not too bad when you consider that the entrance fee is all inclusive of shows, rides and other entertainment inside. Think how much that would cost at a show ground? You can bring an esky of food to leave in the car to cut costs.

Check with the RACV, RACQ, NRMA etc to obtain discounted tickets. It will be hard to get a locals ticket when you live in Melbourne unless you know a local and they are willing to attend the front gate with you to show their ID.

And I dont really think you can compare a swim in the pool at the Mariott with a day at Seaworld or Dreamworld etc. Not quite the same IMO lol.

Yes, it does get expensive when you have to pay entry fee for a family. Just as dinner and a movie is expensive if you have to pay for 4 or 5 instead of just yourself.

Personally, I think they provide pretty good value if you are on holidays here. Your not here all the time. But in the end, its your call.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9884-Gold_Coas…

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Dreamworld
Dreamworld
2,836 Reviews
Coomera, Australia
Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

I have to agree that the prices are a little steep.

We took our 4 kids to White Water World during the last school holidays.

Cost us $204 entry - queues for EVERYTHING were a mile long - at least a 45 min for each ride.

We had a total of 5 rides in 5 hours - each ride lasted about a minute - so we calculated our costs to be $40 per minute since we had 5 mins of fun!! LOL

Singapore
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

i got some discount coupons from here: http://www.myfun.com.au/

after you join as a member (free), they email you a pdf file - print that out and make multiple copies if you need more than one coupon.

happy holidays! :D

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

if it worries u so much vote with your feet and dont go.

kids wont be traumatized for life because they have missed out on a theme park.

and there are so many things to do that cost so little. beautiful walks thru the gold coast hinterland, swimming in cool rock pools under water falls, spying wild life in their natural habitat.

but then again kids are so "entertain me" these days having to do things for themselves may see the scowl and bottom lip extended.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

Thanks all. Getting five rides in five hours is classic. I remember the queues when we were there 6 years ago and that was enough to turn us off. The two youngest kids are 14 and 16 so they'll have to be content with something else.

Any suggestions after the hinteland forests?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

The lines really depend on when you're going. If during school holidays, I imagine the lines could be bad - I don't know, as I've always gone when it isn't school holidays, and I make sure I don't go on the weekend. I've visited both Dreamworld and Movieworld in March during the past 3 years and the longest wait might have been 20 minutes. And if you get there early enough in the day, you walk straight on to the ride.

The point about rides at a show is a good one. The Melbourne show rides generally cost $6 or more each and aren't nearly as fun.

The Marriott in Surfers is very nice and has a terrific swimming area. It's a lot of fun.

The Hinterland tours are ok - if I was 14/16 I'd much rather be at a theme park.

Mentioned in this post
Dreamworld
Dreamworld
2,836 Reviews
Coomera, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

I also meant to add that the discounts from the Entertainment Book, if you have it, are pretty good.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

Someone on a recent thread found Theme Park Discounts on MyFUN and its worth checking out.

"You can get discounted entrance tickets for Sea World by joining MyFun. http://www.seaworldresort.myfun.com.au/

After joining as a member (it's free) you will receive an email with the pdf file you can print out. Great discounts for the theme park, resort, f&b, etc."

As for alternatives to the Theme Parks, click on the link below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9884-Gold_Coas…

Mentioned in this post
Sea World
Sea World
4,967 Reviews
Main Beach, Australia
melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

have to agree, entry does seem steep.

BUT, if you can go when its not busy times,you can have ALL DAY there,to the point of ok weve had enough!(we did)

I think,if possible, get your kids to pay towards, ie get them to get a little part time job.

we encourage/d both our children to do this, and they saved the monies for the theme park entry and or the merchandise, food, drink costs for the day!!

That way they feel they have achieved a goal in helping towards the costs.

I personally think teenagers(most) would prefer the themes park over the swimming though.

Remember, they will be left home in a blink of an eye!!

Then they can pay to take you!

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theme Parks - Why so Expensive?

You can get discounts as a member of NRMA (or equivalent motoring association in your state).

Seaworld and I think most of the others have student concessions for up to 13 y.o. Your 14 yo may be able to pass for 13. I recently got my Dad in for the seniors discount price even though he wasn't actually entitled to it. Although I guess they're less likely to say that an older person looks too young for the concession.

Also, it's cheaper buying combined passes to more than one theme park together. If you are planning on going to 2 different ones then you can get a discount for each.

The entertainment book also offers a 15% discount on entrance to theme parks.

Good luck...