We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day trip report

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
5 day trip report

Hi everyone,

just returned from the Gold Coast and thought I would share some good and bad things about our visit.

Day I (Friday 14th)

Checked into Crest Apartments, Main Beach. These are classed as luxury apartments and while clean and well equiped, I would not class them as luxury (at least not the one we were in).

Ate at Georges Paragon in Southport - excellent food, service and price (I will do a separate report).

Day 2 (Saturday)

Daughter competed at Athletics Nationals, had lunch at Australia Fair - very good food court with a good vaiety of meals.

Dinner at Southport Sharks AFL CLub. AWFUL!!!!!!!!

This buffet was $29 a head, no seafood, disgusting asian section & very little else to choose from. It was in the same section as the cook to order. You lined up for ages to pay, were given a pink wristband which you had to show the chef at each station to be served a dish. Lined up for nearly 10 minutes for one, I repeat ONE slice of roast pork.

Pasta very dry. minimal salad bar & deserts. ABSOLUTELY AWFUL! My husband said it was the most expensive roast pork and veggies (that was all he could find that he WOULD eat) that he had ever had.

Day 3 (Sunday)

Had lunch with friends at Southport SLSC.

Beautiful! Great surroundings on the beach, good meals & reasonably priced.

Dinner was take away chinese from the Ming Palace at Mermaid Beach. Had read good reports, but it wasn't to our taste, very watery and lots of onion and pineapple.

Day 4 (Monday):

16 year old daughter went with friends to Dreamworld and WhitewaterWorld. LOVED THEM BOTH. HAD A BALL.

We went for a drive around, had coffee and cake at Madisons cafe at Broadbeach, very nice.

Went back to Southport SLSC for lunch. Again very nice.

Dinner was a seafood buffet at Patio at the GCIH.

Very nice selection of seafood and hot dishes and especially the desert buffet. We used the 15% off coupon from one of the free magazines.

Day 5 (Tuesday):

Had the $7.95 breakfast at Billy Baxters in Cavill Mall. The food was lovely, 2 toast, 2 soft fried eggs, a sausage & bacon. BUT they make up for it on the cost of the drinks. $5.80 for a coffee and $6 for an iced chocolate.

Went to Seaworld, what a disappointment. We left at lunch time. It seems very old and tired. The seal show was awful, the waterski show was very good. We didn't eat there, it was very expensive.

Had lunch at Northbeach SLSC, once again very nice, beautiful views, great service, nice meals and reasonable priced.

These surf clubs are dotted all along the coast. The ones we visited had wonderful ocean vieiws, nice meals & the prices are great. We did have a look at the Surfers Paradise one, but it didn't look too appealing.

Dinner was at Sizzler at Mermaid Beach. We don't have them in Sydney any more, and my 16 year old remembered them and wanted to try it.

Get there early, the lines are huge. But for good reason.

The food was lovely, the range on the buffet enormous. Service was a bit slow but to be expected with so many people dining. Everything was cooked beautifully. Would definately go there again.

As you can see we like to eat:-) But we also like to eat well, we don't mind the price as long as it is good value and nice food.

Hope this helps with some planning for you. Just ask if you want any further information.

P@

Mentioned in this post
Main Beach
Main Beach
Gold Coast, Australia
Southport
Southport
Gold Coast, Australia
Mermaid Beach
Mermaid Beach
Gold Coast, Australia
Broadbeach
Broadbeach
Gold Coast, Australia
Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day trip report

great to have a list of cheaper options on the gc. had not been aware of the slsc eateries.

thanks for the southport afl club warning.

and dont tell your daughter but sizzlers are still in carramar, campbelltown and kogarah

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day trip report

Oh no!

We are in the Mountains though, bit of a drive for us :-)

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day trip report

Great info for travellers to the Gold Coast Pat. I was surprised about Seaworld, although I havent been there for a few years.

P.S You missed the Nobbys Beach SLSC - which is one of the best haha

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day trip report

Thank you for the review.

Did I hear food?

What about Four Winds seafood buffet and Kurrawa surf club... agree Madisons is nice, sometimes some staff attitude though.

Singapore
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day trip report

We love food too, LOL! This is very timely! Thanks Pat for sharing the many lovely clubs with yummy food.

Question about the clubs: do you have to get a member to sign you in and pay extra or are the prices on the menu what you pay?

Hmm... a little worried about your Sea World review! We're heading there in six days! Read that it's been refurbished and all. I guess the rest of travellers heading there gotta wait for my trip report after we're back. :P

Cheers!

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day trip report

Hi,

you need to sign in at the surf clubs, and show ID. From what I gather, members get a discount, but the prices are very reasonable for visitors.

I had the most beautiful fisherman's basket, served in a large clam shell with chips, and a separate salad it was so filling and I think it was about $18.50. I believe they also do breakafast and dinner.

I would have loved to try the other seafood buffet and surf clubs, but unfortunately we were only there a few days. At least we have some things to try next time (depending where Nationals is next year, my daughter is hoping Gold Coast again, she loved it).

Too many things - so little time :-)

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day trip report

Have just found a link to the Northcliffe Club with a pdf of the menu, this will give you sone idea of the prices:

northcliffesurfclub.com.au/documents/bistro/…

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 day trip report

Hi Pat,

How much was the buffet at the GCI?

Ive been thinking about thrying it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 day trip report

excellent report and thanks for sharing your experiences with us PatK.

I love the Southport Yacht Club for lunch/dinner - fab views.

To me, you cannot beat the surf clubs on the Gold Coast. I also really enjoyed Broadbeach Surf Club and Coolangatta.

Hey, Firebucket I'm up your way soon....delivering yacht to Southport Marina, if you feel like a drink !

EM.

Mentioned in this post
Coolangatta
Coolangatta
Gold Coast, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 day trip report

The QLD surf clubs are similar to the Vic pubs..usually pretty good food at a good price (although most win on the view in QLD)

Seaworld is a bit of a tween world IMHO...not quite for teenagers, not for toddlers,,,,

I have to admit my best visit was by night for a function...never really paid to eat there tho....

As for buffets..the best tend to be at Versace and Mirage but you pay for the privilege ( we get good value with two teenagers)