We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for early Dec 09 trip

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mandurah WA
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for early Dec 09 trip

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some advice, we are heading over to GC 27th Nov, staying in Kingscliff for the weekend for a reunion.

I know the official schoolies week is 21/11 - 28/11 so hoping we will be fine down in Kingscliff but we were hoping to stay in Broadbeach for the following week (29/11 - 06/12 at Oceana) which I believe is the NSW schoolies coming up.

I've read through the forums and am a bit confused with all the conflicting advice, some say Broadbeach is ok and some say its not. My brother is a travel agent over here in WA and he reckons we are lunatics to even consider it :)

We are just wanting really to do some theme parks with the kids (8 and 1) during this week so any other options anyone could suggest would be great also.

Thanks so much!

(Thanks beach8um for your reply on the previous thread too :))

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for early Dec 09 trip

you are not a lunatic at all. Broadbeach is completely fine and the best place for a family. almost all places have a no party policy. check with the resort you are staying at whether they will be accomodating schoolies, not many places will. Oceana is a new hotel and I'm sure will have the no party policy. Otherwise I'd recommend any of the breakfree resorts as I know that is the case with them.

Kingscliff is beautiful either Mantra or peppers is ideal.

also for cheap deals to parks go to myfun.com.au

have a great holiday!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for early Dec 09 trip

Broadbeach is not too bad during schoolies.

Check with any hotels you may want to book to see if they have lots of schoolies staying with them before you book. Generally the cheaper places tend to be full of schoolies however we had friends come up to the GC 2 years ago during schoolies and they stayed at one of the breakfree apartments and said it was pretty noisy on some nights. The theme parks should be OK, just crowded (as usual).

The large majority of schoolies tend to stay and party in Surfer's Paradise so it would be advisable to stay clear of that area.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for early Dec 09 trip

Hi Ravenclan,

Schoolies generally only run amok in Surfers Paradise more than Broadbeach. And the Oceana is in a quiet area of Broadbeach and I would bet they don't allow schoolies!

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

And in any case, outside of the official schoolies week, there is much ado about nothing.

Mandurah WA
Level Contributor
161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for early Dec 09 trip

Thanks for all your replies (and the tip on myfun!).

Sounds like the Oceana is the place to stay, it does say on there website that they dont accept schoolies so hoping for a nice (fairly quiet) holiday!

Thanks again :)

5. Re: Advice for early Dec 09 trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 06:29