We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

I will be going to Gold Coast early March for a week with my husband, staying near Surfers Paradise. I know of Gold Coast as an extremely touristy and dynamic place.

I visited Waikiki beach last year and found that while being touristy and exciting, everything is overpriced there, especially food.

I will expect these 2 places to offer completely different experiences for sure. But how does food prices compare? If it is equally expensive, i'll rather get my food from a supermarket and cook on our own.

Do you have any reasonably-priced eateries to recommend? Greatly appreciate that!

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

As a tourist destination you will find a huge range of food in all price brackets. Generally people stay in apartments so if you are doing so then you will find supermarkets close at hand. In many of the large malls there are food courts which are also a cheaper option than restaurants.

As the gold coast caters for families it has to have family friendly eateries at a reasonable price. It all really depends on what you term as "cheap" or "expensive" a reasonable price for a main meal at a pub or lower-range restaurant is about $15- $20 if that helps?

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

Well said above Yachtgal....

I would only add that the Gold Coast is no more expensive for food and drinks than any other major city in Australia.

Australia is considered a fairly expensive country generally.

You will probably find the grocery and restaurant prices more expensive than Sin, especially with the current exchange rate.

Alcohol will be cheaper.

Try not to worry too much about it and just enjoy your holiday if you can.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

As Australians, we find the Gold Coast very reasonably priced given that we are used to paying more for our groceries and eating out. As an international tourist groceries and eating in Australia is considered expensive. With that in mind, I would say, yes, very similar to Waikiki, except we have better beaches :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

as other say the dollar is already going to ensure that you feel things cost more here. I think at present you will get about 78cents to your dollar - still not bad considering ;-)

there are lots of places to get value for money meals - especially RSL and Surf clubs. Lots of supermarkets so definately go for self contained accomodation. There are fresh food and farmers markets each week and lots of bargains if you look hard enough.

The G.C is still less 'touristy' than Waikiiki - but only just....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,808 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

It has better beaches than Waikiki,

There is no proliferation of ABC stores like Waikiki has but there are some discount shops.

We found food there quite pricey too but that was becuase of a rea absence of places to buy DIY meals.

On the GC even if you dont have an apartemnt you can use the beachfront BBQs to prepare a great meal for less $$ and you have an excellent view too!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

I have been to both places several times and think you will prefer GC much more. It is less crowded and not as overly touristy as WB.

Prices will be much cheaper on GC than they were in Hawaii.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

Hi,

We visited Waikiki frequently as we use it as a stopover to LAX...my experience is that the Gold Coast is very similar to Waikiki, however it has far superior beaches.

We found Waikiki okay regarding value, its the taxes and service fees that get you -... you don't have to tip in Aussie - so it makes the whole dining experience heaps cheaper than Hawaii.

As others mentioned you can eat very cheaply on the Gold Coast especially if you dine at any of the Surf Clubs which are located overlooking the ocean and offer excellent food and drinks.

I must mention Waikiki does have more quality and superior shops than the GC. !!

EM

Edited: 24 January 2010, 08:53
Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

Thanks! What is RSL?

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

Thank you Ellemay! So tipping is not practised in Gold Coast at all?

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How does Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast compare to Waikiki?

To be more specific, I am staying in an apartment.

I would consider meals of under USD$10 per person as cheap.

USD$10 - $20 is considered mid-range for me.