We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Coast or Cairns??

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gold Coast or Cairns??

My husband and I are planning a last minute trip to Australia, 12 nights first 2 weeks of May. We're staying 5 nights in Sydney and would like to spend a week in a beach town. It's between the Gold Coast and Cairns, for a first time visit is one city better than the other? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,089 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Coast or Cairns??

Hi,

I personally dislike all these "comparison" threads at the moment. Comparing this city to that city. It really is a matter personal preference. The Gold Coast does not have the Great Barrier Reef for fantastic diving opportunities & Cairns does not have pristine surf beaches, perfect for swimming and of course, surfing.

That said, There will be plenty to keep you occupied on the Gold Coast.

The Gold Coast region expands over 5000 square kilometers including more than 70 kilometers of white sandy beaches and open coastline, over 100,000 hectares of World Heritage listed rainforest, rural towns, islands, in-excess of 40 golf courses, wild life parks, theme parks, cabarets, shows, shopping centers and hundreds of restaurants the entertainment is endless.

Cafes, restaurants and waterholes are plentiful and cater for all from the casual get-together through to fine dining. The shopping is diverse and extensive.

All of the popular beach areas are patrolled year round by the local surf clubs, where you can eat all day or just relax with a XXXX watching the beach action.

You'll have a great time!

Check out the FAQ's on the top right of your screen for more ideas also.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Coast or Cairns??

Respectfully, for someone coming from Houston, I would suggest cairns.

The Gold Coast is a city of them parks and high-rises, and it knocks out a lot of Aussies (especially the kids) who haven't seen Disney World or Universal Studios. But I would imagine that, coming from Houston, the concept of "Six Flags Over Texas" (is that the right name?) wouldn't be unknown to you, and, frankly, what you will see in the Gold Coast is three or four smaller imitations: Sea World, Dream World, Warner Bros Movie World... I'm sure there are others, but after a while the memories all run together. All I remember about Warner Bros Movie World is that we went there in the morning, and by lunch time we were wondering what to do with the rest of our day, which is a problem we never had with, say, the MGM part of Walt Disney World in Florida.

But Cairns is the gateway to the Barrier Reef, and this, hopefully, will show you something that you couldn't see (and haven't already seen, bigger and better) at home. So do Cairns, for sure!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold Coast or Cairns??

Thanks all, I think we're going to extent the trip by a day or two and do 5 nights Sydney, fly to Cairns 4 nights followed by 4 nights on Gold Coast. Is that doable? Am I trying to squeeze too much in one trip?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold Coast or Cairns??

Cairns doesn't have a beach. It has a lovely lagoon area, but if you want beaches up north, you have to go further up the map to Palm Cove or Port Douglas.

It would be helpful to know what your interests are. Australia has loads of great beach areas, but to recommend one over the other, we'd need to know more about your trip.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,089 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold Coast or Cairns??

Certainly sounds doable to me! And in fact, sounds preferable...

there are direct flights from Sydney to the Gold Coast and on to Cairns.

Check different prices on :

http://www.virginblue.com.au/

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/index.aspx

6. Re: Gold Coast or Cairns??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2010, 07:16