We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

As you all know schoolies this year starts on 20 November. I am planning to go to Gold Coast for my holiday a few days before that, and leave on 20 November itself.

However, do the schoolies arrive in GC few days before 20 November? If thats the case I would think twice about going there. Do their school commitments end right on 19 November?

Not sure where I'm staying yet. But I'm hoping I can stay in Surfers Paradise. Knowing that its going to be very crowded, thats why I'm asking here. Thanks!!

Edited: 24 August 2010, 05:42
Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

For the second time.

Will there be schoolies in Surfers Paradise on Saturday the 20th of November when schoolies officially starts? Yes - Heaps.

Will they be there partying on the Friday night? Yes - Heaps.

Thursday - Probably Not.

If you are worried about it then stay in Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads or anywhere but Surfers Paradise.

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

sorry. just saw your reply.

thank you very much!!

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

What the the differences between Burleigh Heads and Coolangatta? Coolangatta seems like a nice place but its too far from the theme parks. I checked out the TX1 bus and it seems that it takes a whooping 1.5 hours to get to dreamworld!

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

is there a list somwhere showing which hotels/apartments allow or disallow schoolies?

Edited: 24 August 2010, 06:14
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

Hi franklhy

It is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid the schoolies ... and particularly so if you are in Surfers Paradise. You should take Beach8um's good advice and stay elsewhere. Broadbeach is the next suburb south of Surfers ... why not consider that.

<The difference between Burleigh and Coolangatta> they are both family orientated areas. Coolangatta is about 10-15 minutes south of Burleigh.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

Maybe if you told us your age group, budget and what you want to do whilst you are on the coast it would be easier to help you.

7. Re: Able to avoid schoolies if I go few days before 20 November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 05:17