We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach is the best?

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach is the best?

Hi, every one.

I'll go to Gold Coast for 3nights in November. It will be first time, so I can't decide where to stay. Though I think either Surfers Paradise or Broad Beach is good, which is the best for travelling alone?

Additionally, is it easy to move between Surfers Paradise and Broad Beach by public transports?

Thanks in advance.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach is the best?

The Gold Coast has one continuous beach of about 60 kilometres. From Paradise Point in the north to Coolangatta in the south. This entire stretch of beach is similiar and excellent the whole way down.

That said, it really depends on what you want to do on your holidays. Do you want to be close to the Theme Parks? Night Clubs? Bars? Shopping? Restaurants? Good Surf? Other tourist attractions?

Do you want to be somewhere quiet and isolated or in the heart of the action?

The Gold Coast has it all.

P.S It is very easy to go from Broadbeach to Surfers. Frequent cheap public buses go between them and it is not far. I often walk between the two.

Edited: 01 September 2010, 06:23
Pearl Beach...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach is the best?

Hello Future-city,

We like Main Beach and Broadbeach the best.

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which beach is the best?

Thank you all.

I hope to enjoy foods, shopping and sunbathing, and also have heard Surfers is suitable for a beginner. However I like a quiet neighborhood because I'm not young. I would book a hotel near Broad beach if that beach is convenient like Surfers.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which beach is the best?

Hi Future_City,

Not sure when in November you will be visiting the Gold Coast, but if it happens to be from 19 November onwards then I would highly suggest that you don't stay in the Surfers Paradise area as 1000s of school leavers descend upon Surfers (and surrounding suburbs) for celebrations which last two weeks. If you are looking for somewhere quiet, Surfers is definitely NOT the place to be during "schoolies".

Broadbeach should be okay or even Burleigh Heads. Burleigh is a more family orientated area, beautiful beach (all the beaches are lovely along the Gold Coast) and great walks around the small National Park on Burleigh Headland.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which beach is the best?

ooooo definitely avoid schoolies week ! especially if you want a relaxing holiday !

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which beach is the best?

Thank you for your reply.

I hear many students come to Gold Coast in November. That's famous among Japanese tourists but I didn't know the detail of Schoolies. Thank you for your advice. Of course, I have to avoid an uproar so will go there in beginning of November.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which beach is the best?

No school holidays in early November either, so you should have a peaceful holiday :)

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which beach is the best?

sounds like Coolangatta would suit your requirements.

5 minutes from the Gold Coast airport,with no air traffic annoyance.

beautiful patrolled beaches,great shops,cafes,restaurants,accommodation..much quieter location than Surfers Paradise or Broadbeach.

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which beach is the best?

Thank you all.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which beach is the best?

Do I read into your question that you also want to do some surfing whilst on the GC. You have not made that clear. If this is the case Coolangatta provides some of the finest surfing on the GC. Greenmount can cater for the beginner through to the more experienced and Kirra on its day has some of the finest surf in the world. Both Beaches host International surf Competitions. Greenmount and Coolangatta beaches are also very safe for swimming.