We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
787 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

Hi

I am in the initial stage of planning a family holiday to Gold Coast. Currently looking at travelling period of 28th or 29th Aug and planning to stay for 5 - 6 days.

Though I know that the school holiday in Queensland only starts on 17th Sept, I read from Frommers that this is the peak

travel season in the most popular parts of Australia, including Gold Coast and the busiest months are June - Sept.

How busy will Gold Coast be with tourists and should I book my accomodation now?

Any advice and feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

The busiest tourist times on the Gold Coast are the Xmas School Holidays (December/Jan), followed by Easter School Holidays (April) then September & July holidays. In that order.

So, in short. As far as I am aware that will be a quiet time and as such there is no need to book many months in advance.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

agree with Beach,its not the busiest time,its a quieter time with cooler weather.

If you want to book accomm way ahead,do so,you may pick up good prices booking so far ahead.

Which area/s are you looking at staying in?

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that it'll not be too busy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

Definitely not too busy at that time of the year but there's a reason for that - it's quite a bit cooler; so please don't expect it to be terribly warm. It will definitely be warmer out in the sun and the beaches are crowd-free which will be really nice for beach walks.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

Hi! I'm planning my trip around the same time too.

Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post lwk-my!

When you say a lot cooler, what are the average day temperatures? Wet? Also does it mean we should give the waterparks eg Wet & Wild a miss?

Am also thinking of doing the nature parks (Tamborine and Springbrook). Not too cold for that?

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

nights can be around 10 degrees celsius

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

You won't catch me at the water parks in winter.

However, Tamborine and Springbrook are the best at this time of year.

Romantic dinners beside log fires etc!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

Hi Hanohano,

I agree that it will be cold in the water as you are from Kuala Lumpur. Tamborine Mt is pleasant and usually we have the best clear skies during this time of the year. So the days will be a bit better if you are out in the sun.

Good time for walks as you won't have the humidity to contend with and you'll probably get some lovely photo opportunities...please note that I did say USUALLY clear.

See my review on Tamborine Mt

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255337-d…

Nice drive up through Upper Beechmont that also takes you up to Binnaburra Lodge which has walks also

binnaburralodge.com.au/Binna-Burra/…Walks

Have a look at their website also. This is around Springbrook area on a different Mt. I think Springbrook with it's walks/waterfalls are free and you may have to pay to get into Binna Burra. Anyway the drive up is pleasant and has great views also.

Niec

9. Re: Planning family trip - end Aug to 1st week Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 03:18