We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas needed

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
Level Contributor
139 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas needed

I am planning a trip for a couple of days in feb from NZ, this is my second trip to the GC and I have done the theme parks before, I have some physical limitations in terms of walking distance etc and are looking for some ideas on what to do as an alternative to the theme parks in the area..are there any good day trips which maybe I could take - I am open to getting a rental car

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
674 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas needed

Nicmack

As you only have a few days I would suggest renting a car. This will give you more flexibility and you won't be waiting around for transport. If you do rent a car you can drive down the coast to northern NSW and explore places like Pottsville, Byron Bay etc.

Also the Gold coast hinterland is a nice drive where you can go up the mountains to Mt Tambourine etc.

Again if you are driving come up to Brisbane and visit South Bank Parklands. This is very close to the museum and Art Gallery which are both worth a visit.

In Brisbane you can catch a city cat and see Brisbane from a river perspective,

Happy Travels.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 22:15
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas needed

Hi,

Definetly rent yourself a car. You do have numerous options regarding what to do & see. see the link below for suggestions.

www.goldcoastaustralia.com/scenic-drives.html

a) Byron bay & Hinderlands http://www.byron-bay.com/hinterland/

b) Gold Coast Hinderlands goldcoast.com.au/gold-coast-hinterland-rainf…

c) Lamington National Park www.oreillys.com.au/lamington-national-park

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas needed

A trip up Mt tambourine is a must do if one hasnt done it already. Its probably not worth a second trip unless one visits the distillery. I dont think the local wines are much cop.

A day trip to the sunshine coast is also worth considering especially if one is prepared for an early start and late finish to the day.

If considering renting a car then rent it from Brisbane airport if thats your arrival point. The monies saved to and from the GC will more than cover a couple of days hire. I would recommend Apex or Alpha car hire. I have used Alpha many times on the GC and Apex is my company of choice in NZ. They have opened a branch in Brisbane Airport almost 12 months ago. I shall be trying their Aussie operation in June.

4. Re: Ideas needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 10:28