We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation with warm heated pool

canberra, australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation with warm heated pool

Hi!

This may seem and odd question, but my elderly mother has severe arthritis and is already feeling the effect of the cold on her mobility in May (we live in Canberra, I should mention!)

I thought we might take her up to sunny Queensland in the next school holidays (July) to escape some of Canberra's winter.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere to stay for a week that would have a nice heated pool with good access into it (i.e. safety rail to hold onto while she's getting in, or lagoon style entry, where you have a beach and it gradually gets deeper - she is 86!) A heated spa would be good too!

A few years ago we stayed at the Currumbin Sands Resort and enjoyed it very much, the pool did have a good safety rail but we were there in summer, just wondering how the temperatures are in the pools during winter. I think Mum would really benefit from the exercise in warm water to unstiffen her limbs. (she's getting to the stage where it's difficult for her to walk)

We would be looking at a 2 brm place preferably on the ground floor or in a place that has lifts.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,752 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

Coolangatta sounds nice for you both,quieter area with a 5 min drive to the airport(no aircraft annoyance though)

Whats your budget.

Do you realise July is school hols?

If you like the sounds of the area we can start looking for accomm with possibly heated pools.

canberra, australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

Hi Lilyana, I really like the Coolangatta area too, both for its proximity to the airport and quiet atmosphere.

As I mentioned I have stayed at the Currumbin sands resort in summer with my entire family (5 of us). I think we paid around $300 per night for a 3 brm apartment . This time since it's just me and mum I would hope it would be cheaper! If the conditions are right, I'd be willing to pay up to $300 though.

Yes i know it's the school holidays, I'm limited to that time because I work at a school.

Cheers!

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

I was thinking that maybe Reflection on the Sea or Reflection Tower Two in Coolangatta might be good options, but, looking at the images of their pools, I'm not sure if the hand rail that they have is sufficient or not for your mother.

Maybe try somewhere with an indoor and an outdoor pool like Meriton at Broadbeach, so, if its too cold outside, then, there's always the option of heading inside instead.

The only problem is that hopefully there aren't too many kids/families invading the pools, as it might not be so relaxing anymore!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,431 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

Hi,

Merition Apartments at broadbeach would suit you as they have a indoor heated pool & outdoor pool. Easy access to the indoor pool for your mum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g658842-d120…

Reflection Tower 2 the pool is outdoor's. (hotel is fab).

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255335-d117…

Edited: 15 May 2012, 01:05
Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

The Meriton is a good suggestion.

Two other buildings in good position and in your price range with heated indoor pools would be Carmel By the Sea (Broadbeach) and the Biiaritz Apartments which are sort of slap bang between Broadbeach and Surfers (quiet).

Both these buildings are right across from the beach also.

canberra, australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

Thanks very much - will have a look and price and availability of the places mentioned and then ring them to ask about their access to their pools for mobility-impaired persons.

Thanks again!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

No problems.

Let us know how you get on. (And how the trip turns out)

;)

canberra, australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

Thanks again , helpful people :)

However, I have been doing some research on the internet and have now decided to take Mum to Moree to swim in the Artesian Spas there - 38 degrees and with mineral properties that are apparently very soothing for people with bad arthiritis!

The downside is I have to drive from Canberra, whereas flying to the Gold Coast would have been easier. I 'm hoping the spas will be more beneficial though in the long run. I read they have 300,000 people visiting every year to swim in the spas - wow. Should be an eye opener, to say the least!

Moree isn't as exciting as the Gold Coast of course, but I think Mum will really enjoy the warmth.

Thanks again!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,431 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

Enjoy Moree - the spas sound very interesting... get back to us with a Trip Report !

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation with warm heated pool

Sounds like a perfect destination for my mum too. A trip report would be very much appreciated. Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Gold Coast