We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

Hi All

Hows Alpha car hire for renting for 4 days. Any reviews please...

Thanks

Vish.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

I have used them often with no problems.

They are quite a long way from the airport but they do a pick up and drop off service. This is only a problem if you have to arrive or leave out of their office hours.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

Hey..Thanks for that....I just realized they are in coolangatta whereas I have to go the other way towards surfer's paradise. Just wondering is it worth saving 15-20 bucks or should just go with one of the usual car rentals located at the terminal.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

If you are picking up your car from Coolangatta Alpha will pick you up and take you to their depot and if you drop it off there they will also take you back to the airport. They offer a drop off service at the airport for after hours but if taking up this option make sure you have adequate insurances to cover any damage should something occur after you have left.

I have used them over several years and been very happy with their service. I didnt use them on my recent trip but tried Apex which is a Kiwi company operating out of Brisbane airport area. Apex I understand hope to be in Coolangatta later in the year.

Alpha have also upgraded their fleet over the past year.

Well recommended

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

Hi beanb41,

What do you mean when you stated :-

"They offer a drop off service at the airport for after hours but if taking up this option make sure you have adequate insurances to cover any damage should something occur after you have left."

What type of extra insurance coverage would be recommended from Alpha Car hire? I am looking to rent for 10days and the rates are generally competitive among the rental companies, but their insurance coverage seems a bit steep for some well-known rental car companies like Budget, Avis, Hertz, etc.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

what Bean means is that if u leave your car at the depot after hours with no inspection by alpha in your presence, you could be liable for any damage to the car (whether u caused it or not) found by alpha during their inspection next day.

rental cars in australia are covered for damage by standard insurance. what is not covered is the standard insurance excess (deductible) which is usually around $3000. to reduce (or even eliminate) that excess u can pay the extra offered by the rental company or it may be your travel insurance will cover it.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

Lien is right on the button. Forums around the wrold are littered with complaints by car hirers who have dropped their vehicle off at the airpotrt, dropped their key in the drop box and flowen home only to get a charge of the excess appearing on their credit card some weeks later. The arguement is that the rental car firm "found" damage to the vehicle whilst the hirer is adamant that the vehicle wasnt damaged.

Some rental companies maybe pulling a shady, someone in the interim may have damaged the car or the hirer thinking they could get away with it left the damaged vehicle in the car lot. There may be a element of all three in different threads one will never know which is why we continually recommend that a hirer gets the vehicle signed back in by a company rep or have extra insurance which reduces excesses to zero or at least have travel insurance that will meet any excesses payable.

Who is right or wrong who knows? For a 4 day hire one is looking for about a $10 per day extra to reduce the excess to zero. If I was leaving the car in the car park I would pay it for such a short hire to remove the possible grief. The same excess problem occurs with all companies large or small.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

Hi All - Stay FAR FAR AWAY FROM ALPHA CAR HIRE!!

I attempted to collect a hire car at their Tullamarine location in Melbourne which I had previously arranged via a phone booking on the 16/07/12 AND also provided my credit card details as a means of securing the vehicle which was being booked for me on the day.

I received a booking confirmation to say the vehicle was booked for me as requested.

I arrived at Alpha Car Hire in Tullamarine on Wednesday 25/07/12 at approximately 5.15 pm to collect the hire car which I had previously booked via telephone as stated above.

Upon arrival at the front desk the lady who was working behind the counter took my details and then advised me that there was not a vehicle available for me to collect, as the booking time for collection of the vehicle was 12.00 pm, and after 2 hours the booking becomes void.

First and foremost, it does not state any where in the booking confirmation notice, that a booking becomes void after 2 hours from the original booking time.

Secondly, if that is the case, what sort of customer service does this organization pride itself in, when they don't even offer a courtesy call to the customer to advise that the booking will become void if the car is not collected within a two hour time frame?

After all regardless if the car is picked up 1,2,3,4 or 5 hours after the specified time, YOU ARE STILL PAYING FOR THE WHOLE DAY OF USAGE!!!

After I was advised by the very rude employee at the front counter that there was not a vehicle available for me to collect, I was not offered any appeasing information to try and rectify the matter, or try to accommodate me in any means by offering a hire car the following day or try and escalate the matter further.

I was simply told “IT’S NOT MY PROBLEM”.

I was then astounded at the response I received, as I have never EVER come across such a poorly managed business that actually employs staff like this to promote their face front of their organization.

I will definitely be voicing my experience over every public forum possible, and certainly outlining the appalling service I experienced, of which no customer should be subjected to under any means.

– again I re iterate the words “IT’S NOT MY PROBLEM”… absolutely disgusting!!!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

beanb41,

I checked with various car rental companies on the additional insurances to cover the excess, and Alpha Car Hire has the cheapest, from as low as $11/day (from 10+ rental). The other majors rate is between $25-$30/day.

Alpha Hire's depot is not located at the airport, but some 5km away. Picking up the car will not be a problem, but my plan leaves at 840am. I need to be at the airport at least 2 hrs before departure, and I was informed that their office opens at 6am. Do I drop the car at the airport and have it inspected there, or do I deliver the car to the depot?

I have emailed Alpha Hire to get some clarifications but receive no feedback to date.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

I recommend using one of the bigger more reputable companies. I occasionally use either Hertz or Avis. Both have been no probs at all. Sure you may pay a bit more, but you only get what you pay for! Enjoy...

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alpha Car Hire Gold Coast - Reviews

Kelate68 ring them.

Re Christinas comments - I wonder what Alpha's version is? Have you contacted Alphas head office with your complaint and if what was their reaction. If not why not? I have picked up vehicles from both Brisbane and Coolangatta in the past after 2.00pm so I am awaiting Alpha's response with a degree of eagerness.

Get answers to your questions about Gold Coast