We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pros and cons of tiger airways

Level Contributor
149 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
pros and cons of tiger airways

looking to take a short cheap trip to sydney with my family. before arriving in australia i had never heard of tiger airways. what is their reputation and safety record etc.

gold coast-syd return for 3 of us 230 total all in?

Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

LCC. Had a bad reputation for flight cancellations and delays in the early days.

Grounded for 6 weeks due to safety breaches (never any incidents or accidents though).

Seem to have really lifted their game since starting operations again. On time performance as good or better than any other airline.

Like all LCCs take care as all the 'optional extras' like checked baggage, seat selection, food and beverages, IFE hire can add up - if you chose to avail yourself of them.

I haven't flown with them for a few months now so not sure if they have re-instated OLCI yet. If not, then the queues at the airport for check in can be long and tedious, however don't fret, unlike other countries, if you are in the queue as the time for close of check in approaches you will be moved to the front of the queue so you won't miss out.

If you arrive at the airport 1 minute after check in closes, you won't be allowed to check in.

I'd fly with them - but there will be lost of replies giving an opposite view, I'm sure.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

they have a small fleet.

if a plane goes tech or doesn't make it to your point of departure u have little chance of a speedy trip to your destination.

eg. 1 flight a day goldcoast -sydney compared to jetstar 11 flights a day.

despite recent on time stats that's where their vunerability lies.

Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

Yes, lien is right. When the used to fly into Rockhampton 2-3 times a week, if they had to cancel a flight for any reason, you just had to wait a couple of days until the next flight. If you are on another carrier with multiple flights per day, there is a lot more chance they can put you on another flight within a tolerable timeframe. My brother managed to get Jetstar to price match with Tiger a couple of years ago. Not sure if they still do that though.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,852 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

You could do a search on the Australia forum for "Tiger". Not a pretty sight.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

If you feel like figuring out the time difference and logging on at these times, you could try and avail yourself of some of the regular "happy hour" fares from Virgin Australia between 4-6pm AEST (Im pretty sure they're the correct times) ot Jetstar's "Friday Fare Frenzy" almost every friday between 4-8pm AEST. Virgin are the better airline IMO.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 09:41
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

My personal recommendation is to go with another carrier if possible. Tiger is ok if you dont absolutely HAVE to fly on the time/day you have booked - I have had flights delayed from hours to days. I heard that they won't bother flying that day if they haven't sold the whole plane - can't confirm that.

Personally if you keep your eye out on Virgin Australia and Jetstar you can bag some great deals on the Bris > Syd route.

I haven't flown them since they got their license back (due to safety breach) but I would only use them if I didn't really care about making my destination on time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

I wouldn;'t touch them with a barge pole and nor would i put my best worst enemy on them either...

I heard enough from a few ginger beers working at the airport pre the debacle and things haven't changed, (they have improved the paperwork tho) and this isn't pi$$ing on the opposition..one of them works for TIGER!

it is much easier to have a better reliability for 10 flights than it is for 100 per day... if all 10 flights are on time then its 100%... if 95 are on time..well yep..

statistics can be manipulated to suit....

Edited: 20 July 2012, 11:08
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,268 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

have a read of this recent thread.

9. Re: pros and cons of tiger airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:15
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor