We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money needed

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hornsby, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
spending money needed

How much spending money will we need for 2 adults and 2 teenagers for 10 days on the Gold Coast. Accomodation, airfares, theme parks and Australia Zoo pre paid as is a freedom shuttle/bus pass for the duration of the trip. We will do our own breakfasts in the apartment and pack food for theme park days, but would like to eat out most nights (no cooking) and do some shopping.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money needed

thats almost the impossible question of the day.

only you know the type of shopping you plan,

and the appetites of your teenagers, and if you drink wine or water with your meals.

but to clarify food costs, MacDonalds, Surfers P charge same prices as MacDonalds, Hornsby (if your from Hornsby, NSW). For other eating options, just like in all cities there will be pub/club meals cheap and a whole range of nice to extra fancy eateries, so $10-$100 per meal is possible.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money needed

The surf clubs have good value meals and welcome visitors. Just google Gold Coast surf clubs for a list.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money needed

allow $100 per person per day as a minimum. This should allow for some retail therapy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money needed

I always think it's better to over-budget and not be stressing about running out of money, trying to find a cheap meal or not being able to buy or do something that you really want. Better to finish the holiday with (hopefully) some money left over rather than regretting not having enough spending money. You've already outlayed a decent chunk for fares, etc - don't want to then spoil the holiday by scrimping too much on meals and shopping.

If your teenagers are boys, add a lot more for food (1 Big Mac won't fill them up). An average pub meal these days is at least $20, but more like $25-30, especially if you want steak or seafood.

$10 for breakfast each day - juice, milk, cereal, toast, spread, or bacon and eggs.

$10 - $15 for snacks each day - drinks, muesli bars, chips, fruit, etc.

$10 - $15 for lunches each day - rolls/sandwiches and fillings, a drink.

$50 - $200 for dinners each day - depending on where you eat, how many courses, drinks, etc.

Shopping - totally unknown quantity. The kids no doubt will see some clothes they want (especially if you have girls), souvenirs?, other entry fees, incidentals such as taxi fares, chemist items, wine, beer, movies, etc.

We have 2 kids and as a rule of thumb I would budget $100 per head per day on holiday - it's a rare but wonderful bonus to come home with money left over:)

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spending money needed

The comment about $100 a day made me laugh. That is what I allow for two people when I travel to Asia. You would be lucky to get away with $300.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spending money needed

With theme parks, be careful as you are not usually allowed to bring food into theme parks. (They want you to buy food inside the parks). Depends on which theme park you are going to, you can get a 'pass out' to go out to the carpark and eat your food and then re- enter again. If your lucky they might not check your bags, but I thought I would make you aware of it anyway

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
71 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spending money needed

It is difficult to give a budget because diffrerent activities will get different price. Please activate your credit card if you plan for activities that are out of your original itinerary.

Cash may require for small amount purchase.

8. Re: spending money needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 10:17