We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

Hi, a family of 4 2A + 2C will be arriving Goldcoast on 23 Nov to 30th Nov. please suggest some itinerary and advice is it advisable to travel to Brisbane. I prefer some sightseeing and themeparks for my kids. i will like to try out 2 diff apartments for a change. Which location will be affordable, convenient and ideal for a family. Is renting a car from the Airport is advisable or travel by public transport.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

How old are the children, and do you have a budget for accommodation?

brisbane
Level Contributor
230 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

I'd base myself at Surfers Paradise with the kids and do a day trip to Brisbane on 1 of the 7 days. The Gold Coast is a paradise for holidaying families: I think you'll find that the kids will be fully occupied with the theme parks (Seaworld, Dreamworld, Movieworld) as well as other attractions (Aquaduck, Currumbin Sanctuary, etc)

Mentioned in this post
Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Dreamworld
Dreamworld
2,836 Reviews
Coomera, Australia
Aquaduck
Aquaduck
289 Reviews
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Currumbin
Currumbin
Gold Coast, Australia
Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

I would suggest either Broadbeach or Surfers Paradise for the central tourist area of the Gold Coast.

I would also pick an apartment and stay there for a week. I think you will find that most apartments will offer a discounted rate for a weekly hire.

i.e the nightly rate drops quite a lot the longer you stay.

If you are comfortable with driving and have the budget then why not hire a car? It will be more convenient than public transport and you can travel off the beatne track easily.

Mentioned in this post
Broadbeach
Broadbeach
Gold Coast, Australia
Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

A day trip to Brisbane sounds sensible, perhaps best done on a weekend day, as you can the avoid both the early morning and afternoon week day peaks, which can cause delays. And the crowds at the theme parks should be less on week days.

If you really would like a night or two in a different location, why not consider Byron Bay, 45 minute drive south of Coolangatta/Gold Coast airport. I won't claim the beaches to be better than the GC (each to his/her own) but they are among the best in Australia, and totally different to the GC ones, with no afternoon highrise building shadows, and often backed by trees, sometimes rainforest. The ligjthouse walk is spectaculor - if the children are young you might need drive closer.

Edited: 08 September 2012, 23:25
Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Byron Bay
Byron Bay
Byron Shire, Australia
Coolangatta
Coolangatta
Gold Coast, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

Unlike the others, I disagree with staying in Surfers Paradise. Yes, it is a very central location and normally I would think it is a good option, but your dates fall during Schoolies (end of Year 12 celebrations), which I don't think is a good time to be staying there. Too many people out who like to party, so, I suggest looking somewhere else.

Try Broadbeach instead. If you are okay with driving, you will find hiring a car to be more convenient, but public transport is okay, if you don't mind waiting for the bus.

Check www.wotif.com for accommodation rates.

Mentioned in this post
Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Australia
Broadbeach
Broadbeach
Gold Coast, Australia
Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

My kids are aged 11 and 12...guess tey will be thrilled with the themeparks...the above advices were all great...thanks everyone...

Mermaid Beach
Level Contributor
211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

Broadbeach is probably the pick of the suburbs to stay at, Surfers is OK but make sure your accommodation is well away from Cavill and Orchid Avenue as at night that's where all the party action is at, and during Schoolies time it gets worse. Even try Burleigh Heads, super relaxed area with easy access to the beach, Currumbin Wildlife Park and David Fleay Wildlife park are in the area.

As an alternative to Brisbane you could also take a day trip to Springbrook National Park or any of the scenic areas, this page has map and pics: http://www.goldcoastinfo.net/topspots/

The other commenter is right, you can usually negotiate a better deal if you are staying for a week in one place, if you are dealing direct. Otherwise if you are booking through travel sites then the rates will probably be the same whether 2 days or 7 days.....

Mentioned in this post
Broadbeach
Broadbeach
Gold Coast, Australia
Burleigh Heads
Burleigh Heads
Gold Coast, Australia
Currumbin
Currumbin
Gold Coast, Australia
David Fleay Wildlife Park
David Fleay Wildlife Park
199 Reviews
West Burleigh, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Springbrook National Park
Springbrook National Park
416 Reviews
Springbrook, Australia
8. Re: Need advice on Goldcoast itinerary...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2013, 10:17